Sunday, March 15, 2009

Roo Awakening

The Best Time To Spot Animals Is Sunset

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


While I was at the 2009 Australian International Air Show on Friday evening, I was on my way to check out the historic warbirds when I saw this sight. The Royal Australian Air Force flag was flying proudly in a brisk breeze - and it was as if a switch immediately flipped in my brain (okay, so it doesn’t happen often!) prompting me to take the shot for Camera Critters.

It had been a hot afternoon with a warm breeze, but weather conditions can change very rapidly here in Melbourne. The breeze had just turned 180 degrees and was whipping in from the south. The temperature had dropped at least 10 degrees or more in a few minutes.

As the flag fluttered, I realised that the cloud cover had increased significantly and the setting sun was providing a golden haze in the west. Problem was, the sun was behind me and the flag was in front of me.

A bit of quick manoeuvring - never the easiest thing to do when you’re moving against a huge crowd - meant that I was able to line up the flag with the sunset. I had to pause patiently several seconds for this shot, because I was waiting for the flag to fly in a particular direction.

The first shot I took wasn’t quite what I had envisaged, but the second frame (the one I’ve published here - was about as close as I was ever going to get. The diffused sunlight through the clouds has actually rendered the fabric of the flag translucent in this shot, which is very apt .

I’ve always wanted to shoot an image of a kangaroo against the setting sun.

Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

28 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

What an awesome shot!

I played too :)

HMS said...

Love the roundel;

great shot, David.

Tink *~*~* said...

I think a lot of us who have been doing these photo memes have now developed that switch in our heads. "Hey look - something red!" :D

Happy Critturday!
Tink *~*~*

NOW PLAYING at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* :
My Top 5 FUNky Facts About Pelicans

DeniseinVA said...

A great entry for Camera Critters David and that photograph is truly spectacular.

Nessa said...

I love the way the sunlight and clouds shine through the flag.

Carolina said...

A high-flying kangaroo indeed. Nice shot!

Indrani said...

Hey, this is a cool shot, but what about some aircraft shots? :)I visited one here few weeks back, it was too exciting.

Mine are 'Chinkaras' for critters.

David Edward said...

very nice
good back story also

Unknown said...

Perfectly beautiful. And clever captioning.

introspection said...

A rare shot, and a perfect one from every angle.
Hats off..!!

Snap said...

The flag and the sky ... too delightful!

Maggie May said...

I love the way that the sunset is shining through the kangaroo.
I don't expect many people could say that they had shot a kangaroo with the sun shining through it! Might be misinterpreted!

Adrienne Zwart said...

Well, your dedication paid off. This is a really nice photo!

Judy said...

The shot was worth the manoeuvring you had to do. I love it!

Rosaria Williams said...

Great lesson for everything in life: a good task takes manuvering, moving bodies and being aware of the elements before committing to the moment. Stop and frame your life.

Dianne said...

it's difficult to capture a waving flag, you timed it perfectly

the light is so lovely

Daryl said...

Glad you hopped to it!

Cath said...

Well now you have! (photographed a kangaroo next to a sunset that is.)

Great shot and I am always fascinated at how you manage to find a critter that is not a critter. Always. Except that once.

:)

maryt/theteach said...

David, extraordinary shot! Thanks for visiting me! :)

Sylvia K said...

A gorgeous shot, David, just a really great capture! Not easy to do in the wind! Thanks for the interesting info, as always.

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Cute and funny photo.Very nice.You finally got the shot you've wanting.Bravo!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Very impressive photo, David, with the sunlight shining through.

Carol Murdock said...

David I would have took that shot too! It is just awesome! Thank you for sharing it!
Carol

Susan English Mason said...

I am so glad you posted this because I've not seen the Australian Air Force flag before now. It looks very elegant against the glowing setting sun, I think.

SandyCarlson said...

Wow. This transluscent flag is full of dreams and beauty.

spacedlaw said...

Such patience you need with animals. Even on a flag! But the result looks great.

Manz said...

Your a fantastic photographer. Great lesson in patience.

When driving through the valley yesterday I saw approx 30 kangaroos against the sunset. They looked majestic. I cursed myself for not having the camera with me!!