Friday, March 13, 2009

Sole Mates

How Many Feet Away Are They?

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Occasionally I get asked why I use Pentax cameras. The answer is simple. Well, there are two answers, really. The K100D I use is weather-sealed. That’s one reason. And the other crucial reason is that it gives me a lot of flexibility, because it can run on normal AA batteries. Yes, the same batteries that you put in kids’ toys.

Handy, isn’t it? When you think about it, having easy access to simple batteries is a master stroke. If you’re travelling or even if you’re shooting away from home in your own city, chances are you could run your batteries down. But with a camera that can just as easily be powered by AA batteries, you can never go wrong.

The factory-delivered weather sealing is a great option as well. I tend to operate in all weather conditions and I believe that rain brings interesting light – so yes, I’m often outdoors with my camera when the weather is more suited to ducks.

This was shot in Singapore, at the tail end of a thunderstorm. When the downpour had slowed to a steady drizzle, I made my way out from under cover. Just before I looked for a handy arcade to shelter me from the rain, I spotted this sight.

In order to capture the scene, I had to step out into the rain and shoot from right in front of the pavement stall. This way, I didn’t have to deal with pedestrians striding past. And I didn’t have to worry about my camera getting wet.


Visit MamaGeek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

22 comments:

Wayne said...

I too like the bad weather I think it makes for intresting pictures..

great photo friday

Chris said...

Great color in those shots -- and I agree about the Pentax battery situation. I shoot with a Pentax and a Canon. I like them both, but my Pentax is definitely more versatile.

Rosaria Williams said...

You're giving us some real clear instructions. Thanks.

Nicole said...

I was in the dilemma in the other day, finally rain and thenhow to shoot pictures without getting the camera wet.

But I am still learning and everyday something new.

Pam Emmons said...

It's like a rainbow. Awesome shots!

Hilary said...

Great colours and lines. Fun stuff.

Cecily R said...

A weather sealed camera would be so much fun...I'd love to take splashy pics without stressing about my camera!

LOVE the color in your shots!!

no more said...

I have a canon powershot a620 which i'll never let go off. It's small enough to throw in my purse and runs on AA's which is great because i don't have to worry about recharging. I do use rechargables but if i'm out somewhere and they run out, i can just pick up some AA's at any roadside gas station.

when i went to an SLR my choices were between pentax and canon but i've used canon for years so that's the route i went

ArtistUnplugged said...

Wonderful photo and sounds like a logical reason to have a Pentax.

Willow said...

I've been shopping for a new camera and a friend just got a Pentax. With your recommendation I'll look in to it. Thanks.

The flipflops make a great study.

Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
spacedlaw said...

Good point: my Canon is not waterproof and I find that handling an umbrella AND a camera at the same time can be tricky. The battery is also a good point. How long does a set hold on for?

Lanny said...

hey thank you for speaking about your camera, I have been pondering big camera while living with the little camera. I appreciate the heads up on two points that would make a big difference for me!

Love the soul mates.

Maggie May said...

Great picture as always.
Even on a dull wet day you manage to provide colour!

Jinksy said...

Happenstance is a wonderful creator...

Daryl said...

I wonder if these shoes are in the same 'jail' as those exercise balls I posted some months back ... or maybe that baby croc I saw sitting on a window sill .. did any of those shoes mention missing a baby croc or exercise balls?

My kinda shot is what I am saying

Missy said...

I recently got a k200D and I love it. I've not braved the rain yet but have done snow. I agree with the AA thing except it is also bad that its the same batteries as the kids toys. One guess as to where my camera batteries went LOL. Very cool photos.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks for all the camera info,someday when I'm more cool than I am now I will get a grown up camera..... it would be nice to have one that you don't have to worry about in the weather.
When I first saw your photo, I thought of a book the twins and i read recently: Keeper of Soles by Teresa Bateman illustrated by Yayo.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh I like the vibrant colors in this David, well that, and ANYTHING with shoes I'm partial to! :)

Anonymous said...

Love all the colors. Being weatherproof sounds awesome, would do me some good here in the midwest.

Cath said...

And another great story! When I decide to branch out for maybe another camera, I would stick with Pentax.
Superb cameras making what I see in my eye real. I love the digital technology which enhances any ability I have. I simply could not take the same quality of photograph on my old camera, although I do get nostalgic for it now and again... :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow, that is something to think about. I'm reflecting on how many photos I missed when I looked at the weather and thought, "I'm not feeling like cleaning lenses for this one shot".

Fun PSF David!