Monday, March 09, 2009

Highly Strung

Trim, Taut and Terrific (Especially In Summer)

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Let’s see if you can figure out what I’ve shot here. Have a look at this first image and see if it gives you any clues. Yes, there’s a mix of metal and rope, but maybe I should give you another clue.


Okay, so you can clearly see there is also strong, brightly coloured fabric involved as well. So what is your mind suggesting? A tent, perhaps? No, I’m afraid not. (But I could plan some tent shots in the future and make a mental note to use the post title "The Tent Commandments".)


This shot will probably give you the strongest clue so far. If your brain is starting to crank up into top gear, let me give you another pointer as well – you need trees or sturdy fence posts to put up one of these.

If you figured out that my subject is a hammock, you’re absolutely correct. I shot these images in a close friend’s back yard last week. I reckon the first shot in this series might have been a bit stronger with a true macro lens, but I think the depth of field is still pretty handy for a standard 18-125m lens.

(The Odd Shots concept came from Katney. Say "G'day" to her.)

20 comments:

imac said...

Time for a rest David?
Great captures and well thought out.

Zlaek said...

aha!

I clicked the first pic to see the full size image... the name was hammy... so it was a real easy guess sir :P

But your so creative with daily stuff. Beautiful..
ZLAEk

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I adore hammocks, David, but have never been in mine yet - We only have one tree, and my OH hasn't seen his way clear yet to putting a sturdy post into the ground! Summer is beckoning, if only in your pics!

Nessa said...

A lovely place to rest.

Saz said...

Hang on!!!

great post. great with the rain!?

and I like that TTT title, I rather fancy swaping it for mine! FFF tee hee!!

Willow said...

I don't know how I knew since I don't own a hammock, but I knew on the first shot. Maybe it was your comment.

Maggie May said...

Was a great picture and I did guess what it was pretty early on. Now you need to jump in the hammock & have a little rest!

introspection said...

My guess was confirmed as I saw the pictures one by one. Lovely colors in this hammock. The one I have is all green.
Great pictures as usual.

spacedlaw said...

Hamoc! I can't wait for ours to come out.

Louise said...

THAT is a pretty hammock! Pretty enough to make one want to spend a great deal of time in it! And I figured it out in the second photo.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I got it...

Eve said...

A hammock sounds like a wonderful dream. Sadly, we actually got snow this morning, so I'm guessing it may be a few more weeks before I could put one of these to use.

Anonymous said...

It may be an odd shot but I really like it. I thought the other was a hammock but not until the last shot. Nice colors in that hammock!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Which comes first the pun or the image? I always think they look uncomfortable, but maybe I am wrong. Creative as per usual.

Indrani said...

To shoot a hammock thus! You had me guessing till the last line. :)

SweetPeaSurry said...

I've never had a hammock, I've always wanted one though. Lovely photos!

Eddie Bluelights said...

Great test and photos. If I guessed correctly can I have it please? It's time for me to have a lie down.

Hilda said...

I can definitely use one of those here right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Super cool shots! And a must have in the summer ;-)

raf said...

Great way to make the ordinary into an intriguing Odd Shot post, David. If one is stringing up a hammock, why not a beauty like that.
Good stuff!