Thursday, October 04, 2007

Weather Forecast Is Rather Chilli

If At First You Don’t Succeed, Fry, Fry Again

A Thai chef cooked up fears of a chemical attack in London when fumes from his eye-wateringly hot chilli sauce led to the emergency services being called out. Chalemchai Tangjariyapoon, who works at the Thai Cottage restaurant in the Soho entertainment district, was frying bird's eye chillies. Smoke drifted out onto the street, creating an acrid cloud that sent spluttering shoppers rushing for cover and prompted police to seal off streets and evacuate homes and businesses.

FOOTNOTE: Maybe they were hot to trot.


Helena said...


I created a similar effect recently when I left some vegetables to steam and went off to pootle somewhere else.... eventually the water completely evaporated.... the metal pan continued to cook.....


Deb said...

Hi, I enjoyed your blog especially your photos. Yeah, Thai cooking might be too much for some! I'll have a brief stopover in Bangkok next week en route to Koh Kong Cambodia, will see what interesting foods I can find! Have a blessed day.

Lynette said...

You are a hoot, David! You've got to tell me, is the headline yours? The Footnote? Thanks for giving me a chance to laugh, and thanks for visiting my blog. I'm feeling much, much better, thank you.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Helena,

Are we going to read about it on your blog? It sounds hilarious - from 10,000 miles away.

Go on, be a sport ....

Keep steaming, er, smiling


david mcmahon said...

Hi Deb,

A big welcome to you. Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Have a wonderful stopover in a city I love very much.

And I hope you have a blessed day too.

Do keep in touch

Keep smiling


david mcmahon said...

Hi Lynette,

Yep, the headline, the sub-headline and the kicker are all mine ... I just like to be a bit irreverent without being disrespectful!

Keep smiling


Buck Pennington said...

This post made me laugh...and remember. When The Second Mrs. Pennington and I first met we lived in Tokyo...I was stationed at Yokota AB and she was an exchange student at Sofia University. We had a fairly eclectic set of friends...students on her side, GIs and their wives/girlfriends on mine. More than a few of the wives were Thai, and TSMP fell into that gaggle easily. "The Girls" would get together and cook once or twice a week, and the exact same thing you described happened more than once...fumes from the chilies were SO intense they drove TSMP and others from the kitchen, as if they'd been tear-gassed. To the never-ending amusement of the Thai girls, I might add...

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my...I too experienced something like that while boiling shrimp in a spicy boil. It really messed me up. ekkkk