Monday, July 23, 2007

Edition And Subtraction

It’s The Quip And The Dead As A Paper Launches


There’s a funny thing about newspapers. Despite the intense pressure under which they are produced, they also spawn rapier-like wit. This month, a landmark anniversary reminded me of an off-the-cuff remark that made me splutter with mirth. The Telegraph, produced by the Ananda Bazar Patrika group in Calcutta, was launched 25 years ago, on 7 July 1982.

Apart from being much better designed than other competing papers at the time, the new paper had the memorable ad slogan `Unputdownable’. It was advertising genius Stanley Pinto (who also created the famous Luxol Silk campaign) who came up with that slogan and when I recently exchanged emails with him, he confirmed that it had survived the test of time and was still the paper’s tagline.

Back then, when the paper was launched, I was in my early twenties and was employed as the chief sub-editor of its sister publication, the weekly magazine `Sportsworld’. Like other young journalists in that very creative building, I volunteered to help launch the new paper in addition to my normal duties.

The paper’s founding editor, M.J. Akbar, was the man who hired me as a journalist and it was my way of repaying his faith in me. I should point out here that Akbar (right) never made any attempt to conceal his frequent ire, but he also had a wicked sense of humour. In my early days as a trainee sub-editor a colleague and I were struggling to write a headline for a feature story about the rise of sexually transmitted diseases. We took him a sheet of paper, with several of our headlines written on it. He tore up the paper and echoed Julius Caesar as he wrote his own headline: ``Veni, VD, vici’’.

The night `The Telegraph’ was launched, however, there was more chance of a seizure than a Caesar. Things were a little bit tense as the deadline approached. Akbar wore a constant frown and that was not a good sign for skittish rookies.

Two very experienced colleagues of mine – Tirthankar Ghosh and Saumitra Banerjee, then on the staff of `Sunday’ magazine – were also helping that night. Akbar used the three of us as trouble-shooters for his maiden edition, which was understandable, as we knew the intricacies of the system and the nitty-gritty of the overall production process.

At one stage, with that trademark look of exasperation on his face, Akbar turned to me and asked me to take over the front page. As I did so, he called one of the others over, to speed up a photograph of then Karnataka Chief Minister Bangarappa. ``Just hurry up and get the picture of Banga-bloody-rappa,’’ he yelled.

Okay, so it wasn’t ``bloody’’. It began with ``F’’, ended with ``G’’ and rhymed with ``trucking’’.

22 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

This was a lovely post David, it is great to have a little glimpse in to your earlier days in the media. I'm sure I speak for many when I say "more please", do post again about the man behind the blog!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Glad you liked the post. I've hd a great life, a very fortunate life in so many, many ways.

Thank you for your generous words. You don;t know what you're letting yourself - and my other readers - in for!

Okay, I have something in mind, about the first interview I ever did as a journalist. Watch this space!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

I've just received this email from a former colleague of mine, the journalist and author Binoo John, who was also there when The Telegraph made its historic appearance ....

``David, the banned seven words, which you are an expert of, are banned only on TV, not on blogs. Please don’t sanitise your blog - lay it bare for us buddy.

``The f-word was flying all over the place on that day when The Telegraph was launched. Especially when at 4 am the press next door, on the opposite side of Prafulla Sarkar Street, conked out at 4am and the launch was delayed by a crucial 30 minutes.

I tried to post this comment but your effing blog is not accepting it, man. Pls put this up.

Binoo

david mcmahon said...

Dear Binoo,

As someone who has known me since the Seventies, when I had long hair and wore flowered shirts, you would know that the only F-word I know is F-f-f-f-f-ish.

Cheers, mate. You are an absolute legend and it was a pleasure to work with you.

Say hello to Rebecca and Zubin from me.

Keep smiling

David

Sam said...

You were there??
Gosh!! the telegraph is seriously an amazing papaer.. adn without doubt had usurped the dominance of Statesman..... It as my fav morning read till i joined college... later i shifted to TOI and ahve remained there since!!
great to know this piece of info about you!! :)
Cheerio
Sam

Brian in Oxford said...

...and is also a tourist-drawing city in Austria?

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I can't wait David. ps. I think I like your friend! Tell him to come back in here more often..

Mrs Mac said...

"Veni, VD, veci" LOL
So this is where you get your pun habit from, is it?

Chertiozhnik said...

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

Fsh.

My favourite f-word joke.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Yep, small world, isn't it! I was privileged to learn the basics of journalism in that repository of talent.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

That's right. And Keshi had a post on it recently.

Apparently the biggest problem in the town is that the signs keep getting swiped. I wonder why!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Don't encourage him! Okay, he is a very clever fellow, so we'll let him peek in here now and again.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Helena,

Yeah, let's blame him! And we'll blame the Asterix comics I used to love, too.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I'd never heard that one before - maybe I need to get out more often!

Keep smiling

David

p@tr!(k said...

and don't forget us circulation chaps who had the unenviable task of dealing with irate, almost militant newspaper vendors because the paper was late on the first day! we of course blamed all you journos for messing things up as usual, because the printers told us that you guys sent the pages late, conveniently leaving out machine breakdown as the main reason for many of us trying hard to take care of distribution and being physically manhandled by the vendors!

but personally speaking that daily is no longer worth the paper it's wastefully printed on.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Patrick,

No I'd never forget the circulation department. Where would newspapers be without you guys?

We'd be nothing ... and that's the truth.

Enjoyed reading the perspective you brought with that comment about the launch. Yes, it was always easy to blame editorial tardiness!

Great to hear from you.

Keep smiling

David

Lin said...

I really enjoy your newsy bits but I LOVED this piece from your own hand.
Long hair and flowered shirts ... oh weren't those the glory days though. Sigh.

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, Lin,

I do try and do as much original writing here, but once I've got this novel out of the way, there will be more of this sort of stuff.

I still have a flowered shirt - just in case!

Keep smiling

David

Anonymous said...

Hey, great to read this! I was in the ABP's Delhi office at the time, and I remember the excitement well. I was proud also to write for the paper a few months after its launch (even though at the time, I was with the marketing department; my writing for the ABP's papers was viewed with suspicion!

BTW just saw the new Mira Nair movie NAMESAKE (which I highly recommend as an exceedingly compassionate work, possibly her most balanced film so far) - and in a scene purporting to be Calcutta in the 1970s, spotted a small grimy metal plate on those grimy steel road dividers, advertising The Telegraph!

Anonymous said...

david,
loved this nostalgic post!

i don't know whether the 'golden father' (literal meaning of 'Bangarappa') reads your post. ;)

cheers and keep sharing more such gems

rk

david mcmahon said...

Hi Nirmal,

Wonderful to get your viewpoint on this. I have great memories of catching up with you and your colleagues in Delhi while you were in that role.

If only those who were ``suspicious'' of your writing could see you now!

Not bad for a pair of Behala lads, hey! I think our parents would be very proud.

Well spotted on the movie, too! Now I'm going to have to watch it and see if I can match your powers of observation.

Looking forward to seeing you here.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi RK,

Lovely to hear from you. Funny that you should translate the name for me after all these years.

For 25 years, I've been laughing over Akbar's cranky quip - never knowing what the name actually meant!

Keep smiling

David