Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Red-Letter Daze

Aussies Aren't Really Colour-Blind, Mate



There was an interesting aside from Montana-based Ms Creek in a comment she contributed to my post Krusty The Crown. She sounded a bit puzzled when she said that an Australian bloke she once knew, used to refer to her as ``Bluey’’. Yep, that’d be right. Anyone with red hair is traditionally called Bluey here. Pretty logical, isn't it? Same reason a six-footer is called ``Shortarse''. Same reason a colleague of mine used to call me ``Curly''.

Other great Australian nicknames are ``Colt 45’’ for a big bore; ``Hurricane Lamp’’ for someone who’s not very bright; and ``Barrister’’ for a drinker who is always at the bar.

And Sir Richard Branson, whose latest revelations about joining the mile-high club can be seen at The Sun, showed his corporate nous when he brought his airline to Australia. The airline, which started flying in May 2000, is called Virgin Blue – because its planes are red.

18 comments:

Craver Vii said...

So if someone calls me a big fat goof...

none said...

I need to remember those colloquialisms so I don't end up feeling insulted :)

Ellie Creek Ellis said...

This gives "down under" a whole new twist! haha

Brian in Oxford said...

virgin blue, huh?

Oh, who wants to quote Dice-Man on this one? Anyone?

Sorry David, too obvious!! :)

Merisi said...

Wondering if you are seeing red on Blue Mondays?

Anonymous said...

Yes - us Aussies are good at juxtaposition, and sarcasm... I'm glad you explain it, David, as I often have to explain stray comments and humour. I've had to make a lot of my jokes very un-Australian in order to be laughed at here.

I think you've mentioned this one before, but that's why bastard is a reference to a good mate, and not someone of questionable birth!!!

Lin said...

Sir Dickie was recently here in New Mexico, shoring up support for the first world spaceport as well. Frankly, the mere sight of the man raises the hair on the back of my neck.

Cuckoo said...

Ha Ha... How 'logically' they think ! ;) I agree.

@Ozlady:Yeah, can understand your situation. ;)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Craver,

If he's an Aussie, he means you are a slender, aristocratic gentleman of noble breeding.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Hammer,

And you have to remember that the phrase ``you stupid bastard'' is what Aussie blokes call their closest mates. It is high praise and no, I'm not kidding.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ms Creek,

I thought you'd like that. We're a quirky bunch Down Under.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

Dice-Man - great reference. Wasn't that quoted as book of the century and the book that would change our lives!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

Naaah, I never have blue Mondays. I have too much fun with all the things in my life.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

Ah, we're on the same wavelength - see my comment to Hammer.

Precisely ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

He's everywhere, isn't he! He certainly knows the value of friendly PR.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Cuckoo,

Logic?!!! Yeah, I suppose there's logic there somewhere!

It's a fun country to live in. Never a dull moment.

Keep smiling

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Thanks for the lesson in Australian, it all makes perfect sense now.. I think. (Smile.)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Glad we sorted out the issue of the Great Cultural Divide!

Keep smiling

David