Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hocus Pocus

Just Focus On The Crocus

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I had to chuckle at a comment a few hours ago from the inimitable Goddess. She surmised that I am not toting around a $99 el-cheapo camera and said (in a mock flouncy but not princessy kind of tone) that her pictures never turn out like mine. Why, thank you, Goddess. I'm glad you like my photographs.

Most of the time, I use a Pentax K100D, but it wasn't so long ago that I was using (believe it or not) a $99 el-cheapo Instamatic camera. But I treasure many of the photographs I took, in several corners of the world, using that simple Ricoh. If you'd like to have a look at some of those shots, just go to Putting Cameras In The Picture.

Just for the record, the frame above was taken with a simple, non-expensive, non-digital Canon. It was a cold morning in Huntsville, Ontario, and the crocus had keeled over completely, pointing to all quadrants of the compass in a little circle of shade and bright sun. It was a very interesting subject with subtle colours and strong variation of light quality.

8 comments:

bEAST said...

As always, photography has more to do with the angle and the way of looking at a thing for me. Ofcos u need good equipment to be able to mould it as per your desires, but automatic or cheap cameras can do wonders as well! I dont have a digi SLR but i love the pics i take with my digicam nywayz!

*Goddess* said...

If I took a shot out my car window, you'd know it because you'd see the big ole door frame or window frame or something in the pic. And if I take the shot through the window, I have the glare. I know because I've tried taking shots of the snow covered roads in front of me. Did NOT work, but your picture was perfect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, a good pianist can play awesome music even on a small synthesizer.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Beast,

Funny you should mention that. To get the right angle for that shot, I had to squelch my boots into the mushto get the camera directly above the crocus.

No other angle would have worked as well as this one!

I've only had a digi SLR for a few months. But just like you, I enjoyed the pictures I took on a digicam, a Petnax Optio.

It's all about enjoyment, isn't it!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Goddess,

Nothing wrong with having a door frame or window in the shot. That's the reality of taking quick shots.

I'd like to see you post some shots on your blog. You have a ggreat site, but photographs will give your site an extra dimension.

Do think about it ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi FHB,

Thank you so much. Light was hard to compensate for, because there was bright sunshine and the almost-white stalks in the centre, the light green foliage and the beautiful lilac-pink on the exterior.

Quite a challenge!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Prirank,

Thank you. As you know, I think your photography is great as well.

Just to take your simile a little further, I always tell my friends that a person doesn;t need a $10,000 computer to write good prose!

Keep smiling

David

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the secrets of producing these lovely shots. The beauty of all the flowers you have depicted on this blog is enhanced by your explanations. They have helped to shed a new light and angle on the shots themselves.