Sunday, July 29, 2007

Once In A Brew Moon

This Beer's Been Watered Down, Guv

This story has particular resonance for Victoria, the state where I live - because we've just been through the worst flooding in the history of the state's farming area. A couple of days ago, I was intrigued to read that beer tankers were being used to get safe drinking water to flood-stricken British communities. Five of Britain's main brewers have already made 23 tankers available. The British Beer and Pub Association quipped it was a reversal of their normal business of turning water into beer. Many pubs, God bless them, offered food and shelter to evacuated householders and rescuers.

10 comments:

Mega said...

God Bless those pubs. And God Bless alcohol.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dan,

There's is absolutely nothing I can add to that statement!

There is nothing better than an English pub!

Keep smiling

David

Les Becker said...

Hey. I will put my Real Canuckian Beer up against an English Draught any day. You hit me where it really hurts with your pub nonsense, David - for shame!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Les,

Hanging my head in shame. And I'm just going to try and find some Real Canuckian Beer to guzzle real quick, so I can give you an opinion.

All in the name of serious research, of course.

Keep smiling

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Hope those kegs were well and truly empty before they lent them out - think of the waste (perish the thought).

My big sis' was caught up in this, her High Street was a river last week, but her house has survived, thank God.

Merisi said...

I heard about the terrible floods in Great Britain on the radio, all the while travelling through the most beautiful scenery and in great summer weather in Austria and Southern Germany. We were lucky, though, Southern Italy's Apulia Region has been under a relentless heat weave since we left less than three weeks ago, and pyromaniacs (or worse) have turned part of the incredibly beautiful coast around the Gargano into a fiery hell, with tourists having no other escape but into the sea.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Hope your sister and her family came out of it okay. Our thoughts are with them.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

I didn't know about the Gargano fires. Will check the news websites. Firebugs are the bane of our summers, too.

Cheers

David

Les Becker said...

If they have Real Canuckian Beer in Australia, I will be there by October. Meet me at the airport.

With a beer. :-)

david mcmahon said...

G'day Les,

I'm onto the search! October? Why not tomorrow!!

Cheers

David