Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hair Force Officer

Time To Salute This Entertaining Writer


An American blogger who rejoices in the e-identity Fat Hairy Bastard asked me to review his site, so here goes. First up, mate, are you sure you're not really an Aussie? You see, the epithet ``bastard'' is one that Australians reserve for their closest and most trusted friends. And when an Aussie tells you that you're a ``mad bastard'' that's just about the highest praise you can get.

Your choice of blog name gets the thumbs-up from me. Why? Simply because it's one that readers would remember. It ain't mundane. It ain't run of the mill. It paints a word picture in our minds. So it's more likely to stick in our collective consciousness than mundane blog names like ``Authorblog''!

Reading your blog is like being let loose in a gallery of Pro Hart paintings - and that is high praise. The late genius from Broken Hill was larger than life, he used extremely unconventional methods, his work was bold and striking and colourful and sometimes anarchic - and you simply never knew what he was going to do next.

There is an earthy honesty to your prose that makes me chuckle. I'm not a big fan of the F-word, or any profanity for that matter. But I had to grin when I saw your comment to your father, asking him if he had told his doctor to go and, er, get stuffed. There is a roguish, raffish element to your presentation that shines through in a most appealing way. In particular, when you wrote about the Fourth of July parade, the picture that really stuck in my memory was the bloke with the wheelbarrow, to mop up any steaming souvenirs left by the horses!

Do I have any advice for you? Yes. Read my lips, FHB. Get a new template. The one you have is like Sherlock Holmes' deerstalker - old hat! I understand that content and presentation are more important than window-dressing but, man, you have to look slick as well. Get out there, check out the great range of new templates and update that blog. Don't sweat it. It's easy. One click. I'll give you until Wednesday, and then I'll get your readers to sign a petition for change.


If you don't do it, we'll turn you into the Flat Airy Bustard!

10 comments:

Lin said...

David,
I could not have expressed my own love of FHB's blog any better. He is a pure and honest delight and, like a much favoured little brother, he can get by with thoughts and words that I might take others to task for. A true gem destined to hit the top of your list some day soon!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Look at this guy, he'll do anything to get attention, even stooped to getting a haircut. Last week you couldn't even see his eyes!

Seriously, I love FHB...he's cool and I just got off the phone with him. First time we've made personal contact and it was a hoot!

I give him a "thumbs up!"

FHB said...

Damn, I'm just glowin' all over! Thanks a lot Dave. Your opinion, and those of folks like Lin and Mushy mean the world to me.

I've been blogging for about a year now, and I can't tell you how much fun I've had, and how many wonderful friends I've made in that time. I think the experience has allowed me to learn and grow as a human being like almost no other recent experience in my life. I've opened up to my readers about things that I could never open up about to the people who see and talk to me every day.It's amazing the intimacy and sense of close friendship we can develop with folks that we've never met in person.

I've been able to share in the lives of so many wonderful folks, and learn so many things about what it is to be a better human being,I can't tell you how important this experience has been to me.

Ok, I'll take your observations to heart. I really don't care one way or the other about the look of the page, but I know there are better looking templates out there I can try. Always thought the one I use had a cool, old vellum sort of feel to it. Appealed to the history guy in me. Give me a few weeks to work it out, me and a buddy, and I might be able to come up with somethin' newer to dazzle ya.

On my language... I know I do cuss too much. I try to use raw words in situations where an exclamation is called for, but I probably overdo it from time to time. You should hear me in person! Hell, the English language is a living language, and we're supposed to use ALL the words. I know, timing is everything. I'll try to restrain myself, but I can't think about how some grandmother is gonna receive this stuff if I'm gonna be real and honest about my feelings. We're all adults.

On the Bastard thing, I do use that one a lot. I tell my students as I'm handing out a test that they should read the questions very carefully, because I'm a tricky bastard. They always laugh, and it breaks some of the tension in the room. Then they start taking the exam and find out what a real bastard I truly am.

Anyway, thanks again. A review like that from a guy like you is a huge boost to my ego. I love everything you do here, and have huge respect for your opinions and observations.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Exactly - you are right on my wavelength, which is why I think he's so good.

His personality shines through - and that is the best thing for any blogger.

And you're so right, he does get away with stuff that might otherwise cause you to take umbrage!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Mushy,

I agree. And not just any haircut - he go himself an upmarket coiffure.

Then again, he's an upmarket sorta guy.

Great to hear you and he had time on the phone. Yes, he would be a hoot, completely.

Thanks for giving him the thumbs up. I give him one as well.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

Glowing all over - that's good to hear. Yes, we can tell you have a lot of fun blogging, because believe mre, it is one hell of a lot of fun reading you.

I'm happy to be president of the FHB fan club, but I might have to rassle Lin and Mushy for that honour.

No, don't give the profanities away. That's you. That's the essence of your soul - and don;t change it. I guess you get away with it (see Lin's comment) because you use it as humour, not to cut someone down. Big difference!

Funny thing about your template - it is exactly the template I chose when I started, and I held on to it for precisely the reason/s you do it too.

But when you're ready to change, tell me. It's a one-step one-click process. No html involved. No nerdy stuff.

Tell your students from me that they are very lucky to have you.

Don't change the way you are, mate. It's a pleasure to know you.

Keep smiling

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I did a double take when I saw this, I almost missed it! I'm a devoted fan of his, and I'm delighted you've given him a true and positive mention. He is definitely one of the good guys, we all love his fat hairy ass..

Kevin said...

I'd heard you had done a review of FHB, and had to come over and check it out. He's a real solid guy, writes some great posts, has an excellent sense of humor and was one of the first to come visit my blog on a regular basis. I always look forward to hearing his take. Through him I've encountered a lot of other interesting folks on the web, including now you, sir...

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

I'm glad you didn't scroll past the review - and I'm glad that you agree with my sentiments.

He's very good value, is our beloved FHB.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Yep, I think FHB is always a great entertaining read.

I'm not surprised to hear he has been a big supporter of a fellow blogger. That's be him right on!

Keep smiling

David