Monday, July 16, 2007

Get Me To The Church On Time

Check Out The Perfect Symmetry Of This Scene

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


One of the things I love about Montreal is that there is a photographic opportunity on every street corner. The city's great history and its strong religious faith are reflected in the way it has developed. The image above really sums up the way I saw Montreal. I saw it as a city of churches and basilicas, as well as office blocks that reflect its commercial success. This was a neat shot because it almost looks like the historic church and the modern skyscraper are actually blending seamlessly into one another. The symmetry is so good that the church's central spire and those on either side actually embrace the glassy tower behind. And the image below is a rendering of what the same shot would look like as an oil painting.


11 comments:

Alex L said...

'OOOOh Canada'... and thats all I know of there national anthem, its a wonderful picture though. The joys of photoshop.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pope Terry,

Okay, I'll drop by this weekend and teach you the whole anthem!

Glad you liked the picture.

Keep smiling

David

~**Dawn**~ said...

Before I read your commentary on the photo, I thought they actually were part of the same building! That's really wild!

Anonymous said...

Such a weight, the present on the shoulders of the past…Easily borne, it appears…

phaseoutgirl said...

David, I will try to find out whether this is St. Patrick's. Do you remember where you were standing when you took this pic (i.e. across the street, or on the church grounds)?

Any clue will help me figure it out..
:)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dawn,

A few of my colleagues who saw the shot also thought the same thing!

The symmetry was amazing. I must have just been standing in the right spot!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shashikiran,

Beautifully put. You, sir, have the soul of a poet.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,

Just have to get out my Montreal notes. I should have checked it before I posted the shot, but I was in a hurry.

Not good enough, I know. Pretty sure it was St Pat's, but give me a day's grace to find out!

Keep smiling

David

Lin said...

Did you happen upon one which really was a new, tall edifice built within the walls of a Gothic one? I found it embarrassing to behold, like a cross-dresser whose lovely outfit had just accidentally fallen to her ankles.
Mind you, my memory is shot and it was still in early construction so maybe your shot is of that same creation. Wonderful shot though!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Glad you liked the shot. I;m intrigued about your description of the church within a church - and I love the simile!

Keep smiling

David

Anonymous said...

The church is called Christ Church Cathedral. It is on Ste.Catherine street in between Union and University.