Wednesday, August 12, 2009

D Is For Drop

Okay, So Maybe It Also Signifies Danger As Well

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I guess it’s not often you get to take a shot directly above a waterfall, but this shot of the Montmorency Falls in Quebec City was taken in mid-September 2005. I wasn't rafting over the edge - but I had a great vantage point from the wooden walkway that spans the falls themselves.

I was astonished when the guide told me that these falls are actually higher than the Niagara Falls – but obviously not as wide. She also told me that the Montmorency Falls freeze over completely in winter – and yes, that’s a sight I would love to replicate from this identical angle.

I shot this with a Canon EOS 3000 in fairly grim weather. There was low cloud and rain, but I was determined to get a bird’s-eye view of the gorge.

As I’m well over six foot, I was able to lean over and hold my camera out a long way to take this shot directly above the apex. If you look to the left of the frame, you’ll actually see floating logs down below, looking like a collection of matchsticks.

I shot about a dozen frames, from slightly different angles, but I like this one because of three reasons: a) it is an almost even balance between foaming water and relatively calm water far below; b) it is unmistakably Canadian because of the logs and c) I was lucky enough to catch two separate tendrils of “mist” emerging from far below.

This is just a low-resolution version of the original shot. To see the high-res version, just view my RedBubble version of the same shot at Over The Edge Of The Waterfall.

For the home of ABC Wednesday, go to Mrs Nesbitt's Place.

35 comments:

Sean said...

This is great. The high res one is even better.... fantastic!

Willow said...

This photo took my breath away! It also made me dizzy and I quickly stepped back away from the edge.

Maggie May said...

All that leaning over the fence! A long way down!
Very dramatic photo!

Miranda said...

Whoa, thats some scarey shot!

Unknown said...

Dizzying. And tempting. wouldn't it be great if the danger or drop or DON'T factors were taken out and we could simply let ourselves float down and become part of it all?

Gaelyn said...

Excellent capture David. I thought you were either going over the falls or standing on a rock.

Ladybird World Mother said...

What a photo and what a place to stand and take one!! Now off to see the high res one.

Leslie: said...

Fabulous shot, David! I'll be posting some shots I took of Nooksack Waterfall in Washington State as I was just there this past weekend. I tried to get a shot of the gorge below, but as there was no fence I had to hold onto a tree to keep from falling. Consequently, those shots aren't very good. *sigh*

Rune Eide said...

"You are a braver man than me2 , etc etc, but all to get a good photo!

aims said...

I was just reading about these falls last week David and now this incredible photo!

I can almost hear the rush of the water - I should say the heart-pounding rush of the water as it goes over the edge.

I think I feel a driving trip coming on David. Oh! This beautiful land we call Canada.

James said...

It's like going over the falls but in a safe way. Great shot David!

Pearl said...

Great shot!

Pearl

mrsnesbitt said...

Phew! Brave man! I bottle out on first rung of the ladder! lol!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! I would have been terrified to lean over that fence!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Oh lordy, I have a fear of heights, and I can't imagine leaning over a waterfall. But, it was worth it, what a great image. Very vertigo instilling!

i beati said...

drop fits this piece many ways sandy

Brian Miller said...

nice shot...don't take that next step! saw a pretty amazing shot of the record for tallest kayak drop...crazy!

Mara said...

I'll let you take those photos, I will stick to the ones from below!

Anonymous said...

I did as you asked, looked over the edge for the logs and woohoooo! I was away and over and dizzy. What a great picture-how priviledged we are.

Lew said...

That's a far reach for a photo! But well worth the effort.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

What an unusual point of view! Thank you for taking me there today, all diziness aside...

Ciao
Lola xx

donatella said...

Gorgeous! But it was easy to tell how lethal that water is despite its tremendous beauty. You were so courageous as to take pictures of it from a top view, having to lean over so carefully(while you stood on the edge of a rock or something else) as you've done.

Sylvia K said...

Fantastic shot as always, David, and it did take my breath away!
Very dramatic indeed!

Enjoy,
Sylvia

Janie said...

Since you dared to lean way over to take the photo, I'd say "danger" definitely deserves a dominant place in the subtitle.
Great photo.

The Victorian Parlor said...

That picture is amazing! The power of the water really shows through. I can only imagine what it looks like frozen!

Blessings,

Kim

darsden said...

awesome picture! I would be scared just to be out there. I hear there is this crazy dude that would do that fall, I watched him on tv this past weekend!

Tumblewords: said...

I'm shivering with fear - but happy I didn't have to take that spectacular photo... Interesting facts. Hard to believe the falls could freeze.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ArneA said...

to take a shot directly above a waterfall.
This challenge cannot be untried.
Wait and see.

rahul123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane Hards Photography said...

That is a scary angle. The film Vertigo came straight to mind. I am not so sure Nikon would be allowed near this scene. I am far too over protective of it.

Shadow said...

wow, what an angle! great shot!

Roger Owen Green said...

dazzling descent! done well.

wv: deato

jay said...

That is a stunning shot - and I wouldn't have noticed the logs if you hadn't pointed them out!

Mojo said...

I knew that was a long way down, but I didn't realize how far until you pointed out the matchstick collection.

I love finding places to get angles like this... it's not always so easy to do though.

Excellent work!