Wednesday, August 26, 2009

F Is For Federation Square

Does This Shot Remind You Of The Moon?

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It might look like an invocation of Pink Floyd’s lyrics, but it ain’t really the dark side of the moon.

It’s a tight shot of the floodlit facade of Federation Square, here in the heart of Melbourne. There are different planes here, hence the gradation in light – but have a close look at the precision of those triangles.

Euclid himself would have been so proud of the precision shown by the architects and the builders!

The image above was shot on New Year's Eve 2008, just after the first of the evening's fireworks displays and literally a couple of hours before the clocks ticked over into 2009. As I located the image to upload for this post, I remembered shooting a similar frame a couple of years earlier.

In a neat display of synchronicity, the image below actually shows the same facade, from a slightly different viewpoint.

You can even see the silhouette of the single floodlamp that gives the building its beautiful glow. And even more synchronously, the second image was taken exactly two years earlier, on New Year's Eve 2006. Yup, just after the first fireworks display.


For the home of ABC Wednesday, go to
Mrs Nesbitt's Place.

23 comments:

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

My immediate answer to your question was NO but I'm no fan of pink floydd so maybe tis as well - I am bit fond of right-angled triangles though!

Mojo said...

Not the moon really, but I'm still trying to sort which way is up in that second shot. Fabulous building to be sure. No wonder the Klingons and Romulans are always in such a bad mood. Pure jealousy, no doubt.

James said...

I don't see the moon, but I do see a cool combonation of light and shapes.

Brian Miller said...

very cool architecture...ha. i immediately thought star trek as well...

ArtistUnplugged said...

Interesting shots today...not the moon though, ha.

Sylvia K said...

I can see the moon in the second shot or at least I'm reminded of it. Great shots as always!

Have a great day!

Sylvia

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Pink Floyd's awesome and so's that pic.

Maggie May said...

I was going to answer *No* doesn't remind me of the moon!
Lovely colours & shapes.

Sharon Rose said...

I love this piece. . . it is a piece of art that I would place in my home. Hanging in a black frame, I am thinking it would be lovely!

Craver Vii said...

That's neat to see it from both perspectives.

Mojo got a chuckle out of me with that comment about Klingons and Romulans.

Rune Eide said...

Buckminster Fuller would have been proud of those!

Sean said...

Yes, a fan of Pink Floyd and love the pictures!

Craver Vii said...

Btw, "Federation" Square is what got us thinking about Star Trek... not just the futuristic image.

Leslie: said...

I love the lines and shapes in the photos. Wish it were the moon! :D

Roger Owen Green said...

So interesting how a different perspective on a commonly seen item changes it so.

Tumblewords: said...

Superb piece of architecture. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Is this like a dome structure or a plaza? Very interesting either way! :)

ds said...

Very cool! ("Dark Side of the Moon" is a favorite around here, too.)

Corey~living and loving said...

cool shots of an amazing building.

Sorry I have been MIA again. WOW! life is super busy.

have another important post up at my place. They take a lot out of me, but I know it will be worth it.

have a great day, David.

Bradley Hsi said...

Interesting two different view points of the same facade. I still try to figure out how do they related to each other in position. This teach up how we should listen to two different point of view of the same thing.

JamaGenie said...

It does remind me of the moon in a quirky sort of way. I also love that you included a shot of the same place from a different angle. A reminder that there can be more than one way to look at things, and neither is "wrong".

Jay said...

Doesn't remind me of the moon, either, but I'm not a Pink Floyd fan either! LOL!

It reminds me of kites, because of the pattern in it... but it's beautiful, however you look at it, especially so by floodlight!

Roxanne said...

So nice photos. for me, it doesn't look like a resemblance of the moon. I don't know, moon have craters, right?