Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ripples Across A Windscreen

Water Is Such A Precious Gift Of Nature

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


While I was trying to do a mental selection of images for today's theme, I was reviewing (in my mind, not on my computer) all the images I have shot of water. Then I suddenly thought I would portray ripples in a slightly different way.

Could I portray ripples NOT on the surface of water, but in another way? On another surface?

Here is my answer ... in words and pictorially. When you live in a drought-stricken country-continent like Australia, even a light drizzle is a blessing from the rain gods.

This was shot last weekend, just before I drove my car out of a parking slot. I was literally sitting with my seatbelt around me when I reached across for my camera and shot the tiny drops on the windscreen.

The thing that really caught my attention was that each drop on the raked windscreen was a different shape and texture.

I framed this shot deliberately, to use my rear-view mirror as the soft-focus visual enhancement in the left foreground, just to draw the eye straight to the drops in the centre of the image, where the focus was sharpest.

The image I've posted here is simply a low-resolution version of the original. If you want to see the full-size, high-resolution image, just go to Screen Test.

Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Ripples''.

29 comments:

Shadow said...

...and that's why you're the photographer and i'm not. neatly out-the-box this one!

Wendy said...

I always enjoy coming to see what you have to offer. Your eye of the world is so clear. I like how you brought the experience of water down to the lowest common denominator that could be photographed. A simple drop...It has rained alot here in Oklahoma this week, we are thankful for the rain.

Unknown said...

nice thoughts you have. like it!

Kay said...

not surprising, but it is visually appealing and calming to look at, just beautiful.

Mimi said...

Fantastic shot, David.
Here in Ireland, rain is seldom welcome, but sunshine would be. Funny, what's seldom is wonderful,wherever you are.

Gaelyn said...

How true that water is such a precious gift. Great capture of the variety of droplet shapes. I tried that the other day, but my camera focused farther away so it just looks blurry.

Rosaria Williams said...

Just wait, I'll speak water to you all winter long.

Heidi said...

I live in a desert as well and you hit it right on the head about a sprinkling shower being a blessing. I love how you really reached out and came up with such a creative way of photograping water ripples. Nice job.
If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs.

Mojo said...

I've taken very nearly that exact shot (on a different vehicle obviously) but I left off the mirror. It does add a nice element.

Maria said...

Everything is about the way you see it....

secret agent woman said...

We had a drought the past two sumers so evenwit my basement flooding twice, I'm not complaining about this year's rains.

Jinksy said...

A shoal of raindrops, even!

Saz said...

I think you could make anything look beautiful David.

Anonymous said...

I love your mini seminars, David...just wait till I get that new super dooper camera and I shall be able to put you wisdom to work.

Brian Miller said...

very cool and creative...always fun to watch the rain and see where the water flows randomly...

Hilary said...

You turn water into divine.

Marguerite said...

Interesting post and great photo! We've been blessed with more than our share of rain, lately.

Wayne said...

I think thats a really cool picture.

great photo friday

Joanna Jenkins said...

Fantastic shot. I wish it would rain in So. California. We're desperate for it.
Enjoy the weekend.

Ambiance in the Attic said...

You have such an amazing gift. I love to look at things through your eyes in seeing your photos!

gengen said...

Oh nice shot for the theme. happy weekend. mine is ready too.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the drought and the blessed rains. I'd sure love to see some of those drops on my windshield!

candi said...

Neat take on water ripples. Lovely shot!

happy weekend!

upto6only said...

nice one :)

happy weekend

Anonymous said...

Lots of water shots this week but yours is different - a great take ont he theme!

Sandra said...

David, it is always a joy to see your photo entry. This one is so simple yet so unique. Love it.

Unknown said...

That really IS an interesting take on this week's theme. Great shot. Of course, I enjoy all of your posts, especially the errant rhymes.

http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2009/08/ph-ripples-and-more-ripples.html

CY said...

Wow...cool pics on this one David. Great shot never thought u can use this shot. Have a nice weekend. CY
http://tangcyee.com/?p=822

healingmagichands said...

I can just see the ripples in this, if I believe and cross my eyes a bit. My literal mind keeps seeing drops. Even so, it is a great shot. My ripples are not so esoteric.

http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2009/08/22/photohunter-ripples/