Friday, August 21, 2009

High And Mighty

Building A Huge Reputation

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Just when you think you've photographed one of the world's landmarks too many times in one day and you cannot possibly shoot another creative image - hey, that's as good a time as any to look for an unusual angle.

I was walking away from the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur in July last year when I decided to take one last shot.

I spotted the fronds of a nearby palm tree and thought it would be a great idea to try and work them into the image. I literally took this shot over my left shoulder, craning my neck backwards like a circus contortionist.

Apart from the fact that I was able to include the huge Malaysian flag that hangs on the facade of one of the towers, I really like the fact that the apex of this image includes differing geometrical shapes - straight lines, some triangles, a series of arcs, and a graceful wave-like pattern at the top of the tower.

Visit MamaGeek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

15 comments:

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

The flag is the part that caught my eye for sure!!

Ryanne said...

I love taking a different perspective! That makes the buildong look forever tall, and the flag was a nice bit of it!

Craig Glenn said...

I agree David, the symmetry is amazing in this photo and the most appealing feature for me. Everything seems to fit and be in it's proper place. I would have to think that this is one of those amazing unintended wonders for the architects of this sky sculpture.

Great capture.

Craig Glenn

Anonymous said...

Very nice!

Chris said...

I think that is a fantastic shot. I've been doing this picture a day project this year, and some days all I've got left is interesting angles.

The contrast of the man made structure with the God made structure is compelling.

Well done.

Martha said...

Amazing perspective. I always try to look for a different angle. After living in Orlando, FL for 6 years and many many many days spent in the Disney parks, I too was always looking for a different angle to photograph things I had seen a 100 times or more!

Martha said...

oops here's mine!
My SWF

adrienne trafford said...

wonderful photo - well worth the neck ache - and you are so lucky to have been to so many places too

Joanna Jenkins said...

Fabulous shot-- Love the flag and the palms.
Thank you

Willow said...

Love the juxtaposition of concrete/steel and tree branches.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I was thinking that the building looks like it almost never ends! Great perspective!

Unknown said...

Whow, that me really dizzy for a sec!

Jazz said...

That is one spectacular photo!!!

Mojo said...

Wow. Makes me a little dizzy just looking at the photo. Wonder what it would look like from the top looking straight down.

On second thought...

Rudee said...

What an amazing photo! I love the palm tree for perspective.