Monday, August 24, 2009

The Other Terracotta Army

Tossing Their Heads In Sprightly Dance

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It's always a wonderful thing to see a splash of natural colour in winter. To this end, we always plant seedlings in our terracotta pots under cover (and therefore protected from the frost) at the front of Casa Authorblog, with a rich variety that is always deliberately chosen.

Some of the pots have polyanthus, some have lobellia, some have pansies, some have primulas. That mix always ensures that the plants blossom at different times, we have an array of colours and more importantly, because of the mix of types, they flower at different times as well.

With the end of winter only a week away, the tall primulas are now past their best, so we might give them a few more days until the leaves start turning colour. Then we'll head off to the nursery and buy some punnets of petunias, those old favourites that never really go out of fashion.

This shot, taken from above one of the terracotta pots, shows the primulas, both white and purple, in the strong sunlight that is bringing warmth back to Melbourne.

Visit Luiz Santilli Jr for the home of Today's Flowers.

20 comments:

Jinksy said...

And here's me, looking forward to the russet tones of Autumn, and crisper mornings! People always want what they haven't got...

SG said...

That is a splendid splash of colors! Lovely flowers.

Anonymous said...

It seems like only yesterday you were still in summer, I guess your winter is a lot shorter than ours. And here is me gasping for autumn...there is no pleasing me.

Pseudo said...

They look almost edible.

imac said...

Nice post and Pic David.

I saw the Terracotta army in London the other year.

Ashes to Ashes eh David. s-o-r-r-y.

Kathleen said...

The primulas remind of geraniums. I'll never get over the lovely fragrance of petunias. I can't get Mr. B to go for annuals (other than edible ones), unfortunately. But his perennial beds are lovely. As always, thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with us. And happy almost-spring!

Jay said...

I'm just thinking about the autumn planting! LOL!

Rosaria Williams said...

Primulas, always good for a preview appearance.

i beati said...

dancing away the coolness in a perky way sanyd

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Love those colors together. It sounds like a good garden plan.

Willow said...

I am pulled up short by the reference to your spring being only a week away. That means my autumn is upon me! The only consolation for me is the beauty of the blossoms.

Sylvia K said...

Lovely flowers, beautiful colors, delightful shots! Always bring color of one kind or another into my day! Thanks, David!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

DeniseinVA said...

Primulas are such a pretty flower.

Marguerite said...

The primula are so lovely and do look rather springy. Gorgeous photo!

Regina said...

Beautiful and vibrant.

Merisi said...

So good to hear that you are looking into a bright spring! I love those brightly coloured primulas in that terracotta pot of yours: Every year when spring rolls around, I buy several pots of this same plant, albeit in white which then brightens my window sill.
I have never thought of planting seeds myself, didn't even know this would be possible - thanks for the lesson! :-)

Marju said...

Beautiful flowers!

Annie said...

Lovely photo of your flowers David..love the light....

Daryl said...

And we're on the way to fall .. tho spring never happened and summer has been iffy ... I was noticing that my impatiens and begonias are getting 'leggy' and I thought 'next spring I will plant more varied height plants so those that get leggy have something to hide their bare stems'.. Petunias came to mind because they really never do go out of favor

Shadow said...

terracotta army.. what a beautiful concept. love me those flowers too!