Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Sunday Roast

If You Can't Find Tarzan, Just Call On Jane

This week's interview is with Jane,
who writes the blog Gaston Studio.



Here's the first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

I started blogging as a means of getting traffic to my retail website, Gaston Studio, but after reviewing many online shop owners and finding that all they did was show what items were in their shop (and I found that boring!), I decided to change tactics completely. I started posting stories from my life and that’s when things took off.

What's the story behind the blog name?

It’s simply the name of my online shop (incorporating my surname) and the way in which I signed up at Blogger! If I had it to do over again, I’d name it Going Places because this can refer to the physical, emotional and spiritual places to which we go.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Undoubtedly, the people you "meet" in blogland. I’ve found some wonderful people that I would truly like to meet in person and I can’t think of a better compliment than that. Also, the comments offers an insight into the commentator as to their reaction to posts on which they comment; and, into how they somewhat react to current events.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Since I’m still a newbie myself, I can only offer some simple ideas: First, sit down with pen and paper and think about what you want your blog to say about yourself. Second, come up with a name that conveys that idea. And third, be honest with and to your readers.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

Social Angst, which was posted by Snowbrush in 2005. The posts this dear man writes comes from his heart, his soul and his gut; you may not agree with everything he says, but he’ll surely make you think. Mind you now, I haven’t read all of his older posts but Social Angst struck a cord with me immediately upon reading it.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Young And Ignorant, which I posted in May of this year. The events of this post really taught me many great lessons. Firstly, how important it is to be aware of what’s going on around you, especially when it comes to people and current events. Secondly, although I was certainly aware of racism, it never occurred to me just how much hate there was for other human beings, and I vowed my children would never judge another person by their color or religion. Thirdly, once you’ve become aware, you can trust your instincts. And lastly, to try and make wise choices in life because the choices you make rarely involve only yourself.


Today's Sunday Roast with Jane is the 79th in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

22 comments:

cheatymoon said...

How fun to see one of my blog friends here! :-) Thanks, David.

Rosaria Williams said...

Great to get another view of Jane. We are becoming a tight-knit group out in Blogland. Thanks, David.

Carol Murdock said...

Thanks David for choosing such a fantastic blog as Jane's!

Fragrant Liar said...

I love Jane. She is one of my favorite bloggers. And her store does have beautiful items in it. She's a multi-talented and vastly experienced woman. Nice to see her recognized.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Hiah Jane
I am so pleased to read your Sunday Roast - and on Saturday too, lovely treat. Great to put a lovely face to your name - you look very kind and I am honoured to meet you and you look so happy with the grandchildren ~ Love Eddie.

Thank you David for roasting her ~ Eddie

Brian Miller said...

nice to see Jane on here...especially like the answer to the last question. something worth fighting for.

Anonymous said...

Thank you David for this introduction to this wise lady...I shall go and visit her now.

Pseudo said...

I was so excited to see it was Jane being nterviewed this week! Jane is one of my favorite bloggers.

Susan English Mason said...

I just found Gaston Studio in recent months. I'm going to pop over and congratulate her on a great interview. Also, I follow Snowbrush. I liked his post on blogging pet peeves.

Deanna Bland Hiott PhD, MSN, RN said...

I love Jane! Thanks for a more personal portrait. I call her Jane Bond for all the crazy shenanigans she always writing about.

Also enjoyed reading about Kirti at K's. Awesome writers and people!

Unknown said...

David, thanks so much for featuring me on your Sunday Roast (and the grandkids!). I have so thoroughly enjoyed becoming a part of the blogging community and have met so many wonderful people; I'm hoping your Roast will introduce me to even more. Again, thanks with all my heart.

Jane Gaston

darsden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
darsden said...

Thank you for interviewing one of my favorites. Jane is d'Bomb. Excellent Sunday Roast :-)

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

That's great! Congrats to Jane! Thanks to David! Bravo!!!!!!

Kathleen said...

Hip hip hooray for Indiana Jane! Someone should make a movie out of her life, or maybe 4 movies! Her story telling seems so effortless and her stories absolutely spellbinding. So good of you to recognize wonderful bloggers with your roast.

introspection said...

that is a great interview of a familiar blog colleague. From a different angle too. Thanks David! cheers...!

Sharon Rose said...

Jane has been one of my favorites since I first started reading other blogs and then began to write my own. I sometimes refer to her as "Indiana Jane" because of her travels and journeys. She is a woman whom I have much admiration for. She went places, she made a name for herself and she balanced that while being a Mom, a friend, a professional, a writer and so many more things. Jane is amazing!

Beth said...

Not only is Jane an artful story-teller, she makes fantastic jewelry! I feel truly honored to call her my friend (and adopted daughter).

Debbie said...

I absolutely LOVE Jane and was thrilled to see that you showcased her here. She functions quite well without "Tarzan"...actually probably better! She has an honest, in your face approach to blogging that I love. Here stories pull you in like a great novel and they leave you wanting to know more about this lady. Thanks for sharing more of her with her blog fans David!

Mike said...

I think that if you look up Phenomenal in the dictionary, one of the definitions is probably: Jane Gaston!

Lyn said...

Jane is well worth the effort..she's original, smart and old enough so that I can trust her!! Thanks for choosing her..

Suldog said...

Another of those I visit regularly! So cool to read about these folks in-depth. Thanks, David.