Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Smoke Screen

Wot About Me Visa, Then, Guv?

British landlord Bob Beech is an innovative bloke - even though his plan has, ah, gone up in smoke. To get around this week's ciggie ban, he wanted to turn his bar into an embassy for a remote Caribbean island. He reckoned the Wellington Arms in Southampton would be the only pub in Britain to allow smoking - by becoming the UK consulate for tiny, uninhabited Redonda, which is 35 miles off Antigua. As an embassy, it would be classed as "foreign soil", allowing smokers a haven - as well as VAT-free cheap drinks. But the Foreign Office has knocked his scheme on the head, even though Beech says he has a ``plan B''.

FOOTNOTE: Must be the fag end.

4 comments:

Mrs Mac said...

HAHAHA! Reminds me of that old Ealing Comedy- "Passport to Pimlico". Ever heard of it?

BTW David, I've finally updated my arty blog. And my profile pic. Voila!

Mrs Mac said...

Hmmm......not sure about the small version of that pic-
looks I'm strangling a small alien being.

Mrs Mac said...

That's better. I feel like my own self, now.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Helena,

Despite my multicultural upbringing and my experiences all round the world, I have to say I must have missed `Passport to Pimlico' although I'm familiar with the famous Ealing Comedy genre.

Will complete my education now!

Great to know your arty blog has been updated. New post, new photo, new sense of purpose.

No, I didn't think you were strangling an alien!

Take care

David