Monday, July 02, 2007

Star Tech

Many Thoughts, But No Confusion


Not everyone has had to wait a fortnight for a review of their blog, but Confused Sam waited patiently while I spent most of last week with a family member in hospital. Thank you, Sam, for your patience. Your strength is the ability to write posts in a completely colloquial manner. You write just as I imagine you would tell a story to a group of friends. It is spontaneous prose and therefore it is genuine in its nature. There is no artifice, there are no gimmicks. That is a great strength for any writer.

As you know, when we first started exchanging comments about your blog, I told you the single most common thing I have told most bloggers. Your site was in danger of being perceived as one-dimensional. It was flat and featureless to the casual reader - because it was simply one slab of text after another. The danger of this approach is that readers might lose interest, just as they would while reading a newspaper with no photographs or captions or headlines or breakout quotes.

To your eternal credit, you took the advice in the right spirit and on 10 June your post `Looking Back at my Inspiration' ran with a photograph. Immediately, your blog took on a different dimension. The artwork that illustrated your poem `But Forever' on 20 June was well chosen and really complemented a poem that spoke with broad appeal. I'm guessing you copied the illustration off Google Images or some image bank - if so, always check copyright implications. Even if there are no restrictions on the publication of such an image, it is good practice to run a caption crediting the source material.

My favourite post was `Time Stops at Shamli' on 26 June, not just because Ruskin Bond and I share the same publisher, Penguin, but because this was a book I had not read. Your interpretation of the story was simple and powerful and you drew us into your view of two lives in the hill station. Your latest post, `Shall we Dance', on 26 June just reinforces my impression that you are a bit like the gears on a mountain bike - you move very efficiently in a variety of conditions and at many different speeds, across a variety of terrains. I look forward to watching your blog as it progresses.

And if you'll permit me to deviate from your blog for a second, it's interesting that you hail from Pune, for two reasons. First, my mother was educated there, at St Mary's Convent. And second, some years ago, a young student from Pune sent me a news report for publication. I could not publish it, but I edited it and sent it back to him with a letter explaining certain things he needed to do when writing. He took the advice on board, brushed up his writing skills and his byline began to appear in my magazine fairly regularly while he was still a university student. Today, his name is well known in journalism and he never fails to acknowledge what a great help it was to get those two pages of unsolicited - and unexpected - advice from a total stranger.

Why is this relevant to you, Sam? Because a kid you help one day may turn out to be a famous writer too. It's all about passing on the knowledge - which is why I review other writers' blogs.

20 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

You certainly do practise what you preach David, and are an endless source of help and encouragement to myself and to countless others. I truly do believe you pass it on, and I have seen many comments from our little band on other sites, offering advice and help. Looks like something has been set in motion here, something positive and constructive. You should be proud!

Cuckoo said...

Daviddddddddd,

I am also patiently waiting since that time !! Remember, in the same post I requested you to review mine as well ??
Guess I need to have some more patience but I know you'd do it some day.
As Carol said, you are endless source of encouragement (and may I add energy as well ?).
We are really proud of you, David and look forward to all the pieces of advice you give us. You are THE inspiration.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Okidokee, here is something that I've been wiggling my furry toes about.

When I leave comments on other people's blog -like THIS- should I do it in English or Bear-English?

I know that Meanie, the Baby Dragon, leaves comments in Baby Dragonese.

I use my second language for comments cos people might not want Bear English on THEIR blogs.

It might also put off new people from visiting.

Worse still, as happened to me once, it could make someone else leave a follow-up comment telling me I can't spell!

What the?

It's difficult.

Maybe I should put a poll about it on my blog....

Any thoughts???

tri-lingually yours,
Bob

:@}

savannah said...

hope all is well with your family, david...

Victorya said...

wow, nice review! I've been wondering about my blog, wanting to keep it as text but realizing that can come across as overwelming, especially since I'm long winded.

I too send well-wishes to your family, they are in my prayers.

Cheers,

Vic

Expression photo said...

Hello David.

Thank you for your comment on my photo blog....come again when you have time....there are some news

Dhivya said...

Wow David... you have really made me think about what I can do with my blog... This the first time I chanced upon your blog, Great blog!

I can see the request for blog reviews queuing up and I'll add mine to the list :)

Cheers

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Always wonderful to hear from you - and I thank you for that compliment. I guess it's like ripples on a pool, concentric circles spreading further and further.

Way to go!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

You certainly have been very patient and I thank you very much for that. But I should have your site reviewed by the end of this week.

Thanks for all the kind words and I will certainly try and live up to your expectations.

Good luck with the new plan we discussed, too!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Okay, honest bear-to-bear advice here. When you;re commenting on blogs where the bloggers are familiar with your unique persona and command of the language, comment in bear lingo.

But when you're commenting on other blogs, maybe translate your thoughts into human lingo.

That work for you?

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Savannah,

Thank you so much for your kindness. It's looking better but it's a long, slow road to complete recovery....

Once again, thank you

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Victorya,

Got that request. Will add you to the list. I will try and knock them over as quickly as I can ...

In all honesty, though, I've never found your posts long-winded.

Thanks for your good wishes for the family as well. Really appreciate that.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Laurent,

I really enjoyed the picture essay and as you can see I've posted one of your pictures on my blog and linked to your wonderful post.

Well done.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dhivya,

Welcome aboard. Great to hear from you. Yes of course I'll review your blog. It could take a while, but I'll certainly do it, with pleasure.

Thank you for your great comment. I'm glad you enjoyed this blog and if it made you think about the way you approach your blog, then that's terrific.

Do keep in touch.

Cheers

David

Sam said...

Hi David!!
Firstly, how's your family?? I believe everything is fine, hale and hearty!!
And then as they say in hindi "It's patience which begets the sweetest results!!".. I ahd to follow what I preach :)
Thanks for the review. I'm more than just happy to find an indepth analysis of my blog. I still remember when you did ask me to make the blog a little more livelier. I couldn't help but agree... After all I was seeing the results elsewhere :) And about that image which went with "But Forever".. Well.. i got it off Orkut aeons ago.. and its been there on my album for god knows how long!! So, honestly I couldn't recall whom to give credit for that (except Orkut).
Oh btw, I don't exactly hail from Pune.. I just work here. I'm from Kolkata erstwhile Calcutta.. A city you are very much familiar with!! :)
And thanks for complimenting my writing style.... I've tried to deviate a little here and there from bieng serious to introducing teh funny at the behest of another critic and close friend of mine!! Looks like her advice was correct :)
Oh!! And I too try and help others on their blogwork should they want any... like I end up being the editor of one such blog :)

Thanks for your efforts again!! I really appreciate that.

Cheerio
Sam

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

You're from Calcutta and you didn't tell me earlier!

Thanks for that comment. Your friend's advice to you was certainly spot-on.

Good one you for editing another blog - it's terrific to see your spread of talent zones.

Cheers

David

Merisi said...

I visited my good blog friend Savmarshmama and found there the link to your blog. Amazing, how small the world can be, Vienna - Aus - Savannah - Aus, at three mouse clicks. :-)
I have to read more of your blog posts, but the two or three I have seen so far have convinced me once more that it's a wonderful blogosphere out there and you are one shining example of it.
Thank you. :-)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

Wonderful to hear from you and I'm glad you think this is a blog worth visiting.

It sure is an amazing world of access when a couple of mouse clicks can take you round the globe.

If indeed I am a shining example, then I humbly contend that it's because of my zest for life and my zest for communication.

Great to hear from you.

Cheers

David

Keshi said...

Came here from Sam's blog. Nice work mate. :)

And Sam's a cool dude.

Keshi.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Keshi,

Seen you around on Sam's blog. Yes, I agree with you, he is one cool dude - and a good blogger.

Thanks for visiting and for taking the trouble to leave a comment.

Glad you enjoyed my blog.

Cheers

David