Thursday, July 05, 2007

Camera Conscious

Let's Focus On The Task Ahead

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON



On Tuesday I got an interesting question from Merisi, who is based in Vienna, Austria and whose site is updated regularly with some eye-catching photo essays and short, snappy text.

``I see that you are a professional photographer,'' said Merisi, ``do you have a site with more of your photos? I am only snapshooting with a little Sony Cybershot, which unfortunately gives me once again spots on images taken with zoom. I am thinking about upgrading a notch or two, wide angle, more zoom, without losing the Sony's capability of taking low-light shots without flash. May I ask you if you have any suggestions?''

First up, Merisi, I am very flattered that you think I'm a professional photographer. Do allow me to qualify that. I'm a professional journalist who just happens to love photography. However, when I have this second novel out of the way, I'll be doing a bit more serious photography for a while, before going on to my next novel.

I've had a good look at the nature of your photography and I think I might be able to answer your question, while addressing the issue that you also enjoy close-up shots as much as I do. There are a couple of camera-specific posts on my blog at Giving Cameras The Right Exposure and Putting Cameras in the Picture and I guess those will help others with similar queries to yours.

I reckon what you really need is a versatile camera with a decent (but not overpowering) zoom, a great mid range and terrific macro. Like you, I also take a lot of low-light shots. I use a Pentax K100D with a Sigma 18-125mm lens that does all of the above, but I recently had the pleasure of testing a Pentax K10D - which has a brilliant macro. To see one particular result, go to Mug Shot and you'll see what I mean.

Scout around and you'll find several cameras that have the 50 per cent extra length on their focal plane. Confused? Naaaah, this just means you have a focal length equivalent to a 150mm lens while shooting with a 100mm lens. I would also advice you to go to a camera dealer and spend some time testing the gear that matches your requirements and your budget. It's unlikely they will let you test each camera for an hour or so outdoors, so just shoot various objects in the store and compare results before making your final choice.

I wouldn't buy a car without test-driving it. Similarly, I'd recommend that anyone keen on buying a new camera actually tests a few different models and makes before making up your mind. Good luck and let me know how you go.

Click here: Pentax K100D. Shutter 1/60, F 5.6. ISO speed 800. Flash disabled.

4 comments:

Merisi said...

Thank you, David!
I have to leave it at that short comment for the moment, 6.30am in Vienna, and I gotta run, but will be back as soon as I find a little bit more time to read your insight into cameras in depth.
Have a great day,
Mersi

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

No worries at all. Hope you have a terrific day.

Cheers

David

Craver Vii said...

"Overpowering zoom?" What's that? I have never heard of such a thing. But then, I'm not a prolific picture-taker.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Craver,

That's like, when an F-16 flies overhead at the speed of sound.

That's gotta be overpowering zoom, right!!

Cheers

David