Friday, March 07, 2008

Ball Park Figure

Farewell Leicester Swear

A row has erupted in Leicester over whether a new four-metre, $45,000 statue should honour former World Cup soccer star Gary Lineker or the late Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi. Leicester council is set to approve the Gandhi statue in a mainly Asian area of the city. But protesters say Gandhi has "no connection" to English culture and set up a petition for the statue to honour local hero Lineker instead. The 47-year-old TV football host played for Leicester and England and advertises the city's Walkers crisps.

FOOTNOTE: Like taking Gandhi from a baby.

4 comments:

The Egel Nest said...

Alternate Footnote:

While some council members stand on the "sidelines", others fear they have strayed from their original "goal."

Bradley
The Egel Nest

San said...

Walkers crisps. That's what I call significant cultural impact.

Cath said...

Depends if they want local hero (Gary is my hero!) or international hero (I also love Ghandi).

This British thing of being so PC gets on my nerves. The bottom line should be what they want the statue to represent or honour, not what the culture is in the area!
Jeez!
Great post btw. Again. :-/

Sandi McBride said...

Would the crisps be vinegar flavored? My favorite! I just can't figure why Mr. Ghandai would want his likeness to be a bird perch so far from his home. I agree with Crazycath, political correctness gets taken to the extremes here, too. And I'm agin it!
Sandi