Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Sunday Roast

Mum's Really The Word For This Blogger

This week's interview is with Jenera Healy, who writes
the blog
Just Me, Mommy, Wife & Everything Between.


The first of the standard weekly questions: Why do you blog?

For me, blogging is an essential part of my sanity. I have kept a journal for as long as I can remember. It is the biggest help in my working through stress, life, and problems. My blog is another form of that outlet. Also, it is a way to keep in touch with friends and family, meet new people, and expand my contact circle.

Through my blog, I have learned things about myself, about others, and about the world. It's more than just some place to write about my day. Seeing my posts in black and white on the screen make things more real. Getting feedback from my readers also helps put things in perspective and helps me work things out for myself in a better way.

What's the story behind your blog name?

My blog name is Just Me. I've had a couple different names over the last year but this one has stuck and is more accurate. I've been through so much with family and friends and I've learned a lot about myself and how I have dealt with people and situations as well I how I have portrayed myself to others. I have learned that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being Just Me. A little crazy, a trucker wife, and a mom. You either love me or hate me, either way, I'm going to just be myself.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Meeting new people, learning other people's stories that got them to where there are right now in life, learning more about myself, and knowing I'm not alone in some of the struggles I face. One of the best things is when fellow bloggers recognize my efforts for something - like this interview! - and it makes it worth it. Having someone link to your blog, or give a public thanks, or even a public apology. It lets you know that someone out there is paying attention.
Sometimes in this lonely world, that can help a lot.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

I consider myself to still be a newbie but I have learned a lot over the last year. I've learned not to compare my blog to anyone else's. Sure I have some things I could improve on but I won't do something to the detriment of my blog just to 'fit in'. I've also learned that not having a bazillion visitors or comments is not a reason to stress out.

I have a close knit group of readers that I have leaned on for support and that is more important than logging thousands of visitors a day. I have also learned that I can do anything I put my mind too. Working through a problem, learning HTML, formatting my blog, etc.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

Oh goodness, I have read so many that have changed my life and personal views, I wouldn't even know where to start. I have several blogs I visit every day on various topics that I can relate to that have a huge significance in my life. To single one out would be unfair to the many that could hold that top spot. I think that just shows how much a person's blog can help someone else regardless of how sophisticated-or not-that it is.

There have been posts on weight loss that have helped me stay on path. There have been posts I have read on infertility that have changed my views even though I have never experienced that myself. I have read posts about dealing with parents and the drama from the past that caused me to look at some of my own issues in a new light. So again, I could not pick out just one.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

The Day After is probably the most significant blog that I can think of. Going through a miscarriage and losing the baby was one of the most painful times in my life. It was made worse by the fact that though I had talked to a couple people about it who had experienced the pain themselves, it was like I was still dealing with it alone. I had feelings and emotions that I had never experienced before-ever. I was hurt by the people around me who were so wrapped up in themselves, they compared their current stress to my loss. I was hurt by people around me getting pregnant 'by accident' and yet I lost my baby.

Writing this post got everything out of my head. It connected me with other women who had dealt with such a tragedy and knew what I was feeling. I was able to talk about those feelings that just can't be discussed in polite company. It made the days a little easier knowing I had an outlet to get it all out and where I could count on an encouraging word from one of my readers. Given my past issues with anxiety and depression, the loss of the baby threatened to send me in a hideous downward spiral but with my blog, my postings, and my readers, I was able to deal with those emotions just a tad bit easier.

Today's Sunday Roast with Jenera Healy is the fifth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your interviews are so interesting.

Rosie said...

A really interesting interview David.

Gone Back South said...

She sounds lovely - I'll go and have a read.

Cath said...

That is such a wonderful honest interview and I'm off to have a look now!

The advice is great and the questioning. Very interesting and helpful to a newbie who has been spoiled very early on with comments and recognition which have so boosted me.

Thanks for taking the time to interview. Great idea.

Sandi McBride said...

I can't begin to imagine how you find the time for all you do. It's a mystery to me. Can't wait to go read her work.
Sandi

The Egel Nest said...

I can't imagine dealing as a family with a miscarriage (let alone posting about it)...especially now that I am a father...I admire your strength!

Great interview!

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Leslie: said...

She sounds like an awesome woman to be so open and honest about herself. And I think she's very very brave to put details of her weight loss on her blog for anyone to see. I've lost a lot of weight in the last 2 years, but would never reveal the starting or ending weight! Brava!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

This is such a lovely way to find out more about lovely bloggers!

Jenera said...

Hmm, I thought my comment was saved...


Anyway, thank you so much for being included in the series in the interviews-I am so honored by that!

Thank you all for your lovely comments and kind words here and on my blog-I appreciate them and the visits!

Thank you David so very much!

Casdok said...

Great intereview - am popping over there now!!

Lee said...

I'm with Jenera on the, just being me, part. It takes work sometimes. Once you get to that point there isn't much that can take you down.

Peace!

Maggie May said...

Enjoyed the interview with Jenera & have just dashed over to her place! Good way of extending friendships!
You are a very busy man! When do you rest?

Mima said...

What a lovely interview, and thanks for taking all the time to keep us entertained everyday, I am now off to go visit Jenera, along with I think a lot of other people!!

RiverPoet said...

Another new blog to try! What a cool thing you're doing here, David!

How did you find her blog?

Peace - D

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoyed this. Interviewing real folks. Great idea.

Akelamalu said...

That was really interesting, I'm off to visit now to read more. :)

Daryl said...

Thanks David for highlighting Jenera.

Jenera .. congrats to you for opening up .. I was touched and nodded in agreement to your remark about others comparing their stress to your loss of a baby .. people are amazing ..

Continued good luck to you and your family.