Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Sunday Roast

Time To Crave This Blogger's Attention

This week's interview is with Craver,
who writes the blog Craver VII.


The first of the standard weekly questions: Why do you blog?

Can I tell you how I reacted when I first heard about blogging? I was repulsed by the notion of an egomaniac going on and on about himself and then expecting other people to read it.

I like to think of blogging this way. Imagine that the editor of a widely circulated magazine wanted to publish your articles ... anything you want to say, anytime you feel like talking. You can use your own photos, stock images, or stick with plain text if you like. Blogger fulfills that fantasy, plus it adds a social dimension. Now I’m hooked.

What’s the story behind your blog name?

It’s an anagram of my real name. (It’s easy to figure out, but please don’t use my real name on the internet.) Initially, a computerized jumbling of the letters offered “Rev Vicar I,” but that was way too pompous, so I kept searching.

I chose “Craver VII,” because there are a number of things that I am passionate about. The seven things I “crave” are listed at the header of my page. Hence, "Craver" and Roman numeral seven.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Between the money and the fame, it’s hard to say. Plus, it’s a good outlet for this hypocritical egomaniac (see question #1). I like shrinking the globe (see photograph above) by engaging in continuing dialogue with people from different parts of the planet. It might be another person who believes the same things I do, or someone whose world view is very, very different. There is a sense of satisfaction that comes from connecting with people.

As a bonus, occasionally, I get to say something that strikes someone as funny or profound. People have emailed me to ask that I pray for or with them. That is a great privilege that I do not take lightly.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Grace and truth. That is to say, maintain civility; try not to judge people's intentions, and be honest. It’s very easy to say something that you wish you hadn’t. Cyberspace doesn’t filter out the pain and consequences of poisonous verbiage. And be careful that you don’t compromise integrity and respect by trying to fool your readers.

What is the most significant blog post you’ve ever read?

I literally wept when Charity Singleton announced that she had cancer. As a result, I began praying regularly for her.

What is the most significant blog post you’ve ever written?

I don’t know. Seriously. On the one hand, a glib, perfunctory scribble might get an amazing response, but when I work hard to pen something moving, the whole world goes on vacation from blogging. A friend told me this weekend that he liked treacher-ice. Brief and light. Yeah, I like stuff like that. For something more profound, how about Fervent and focused?

Today's Sunday Roast with Craver VII is the ninth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

21 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Great interview! Congratulations!

Corey~living and loving said...

great interview. I love love love the photo of the tiny globe and what you said about it. wonderfully put.

lime said...

terrific interview. glad to meet you, craver and i really couldn't agree more with the advice you give the newbies.

Maggie May said...

Enjoyed your interview & liked what you said. Congratulations.

dot said...

Great interview!!
I love the fact that Craver is a Christian. He is also an extremely funny man. Nice picture also!

Daryl said...

I have to admit, shamefully, that while I always comment on Craver's photo posts, and I find his comments on mine very funny.. I dont often read his blog .. my bad .. from now on ...

Jan said...

Great interviews. I think it is wonderful to feature different bloggers and highlight their takes on the whys and reasons they blog. It is also nice to get to know others around the globe and just read their interests. Really great blogger. And thanks for visiting my blog and saying a nice little ditty about my asking questions post. I really appreciated that. Carolyn is the best.

Anonymous said...

I like these interviews. They somehow help strengthen my concept of bloggers as a community.

imac said...

Nice one David, Craver sure is a great man with his words from the heart and spirit - also his great photography. this is one great post.

Craver Vii said...

Thank you, David. I am grateful for the interview. You have been inspirational. I hope that frequent visits here cause some of your diplomacy, wit, and photographic expertise to rub off on us who frequent your blog.

Right now, I have to hit the books (studying for a lesson) and it's hard to type, 'cause I'm sore from doing yard work all day. Ouch.

From my hometown of Bolingbrook, Illinois in the U.S. of A., via Melbourne, Australia... G'day and howdy-do to you all! I appreciate the comments, and I'll make it a point to visit you all soon.

Cath said...

Yet another great interview David. You are so good at this!
What a great blog site - been over to see him already! Thanks

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Great interview. I especially love the newbie blogger advice. Well put!

MK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

(sorry, the deleted comment was actually me...I posted under my Yahoo account instead of my blogger account my accident).

Congrats Dad!

Hometown of BOLINGBROOK?! Now you really have become a city traitor...I can't believe you just dissed Chicago like that. And you have the nerve to tell me that Chicago evicted me because I hate cold weather. Pshaw! Whatever...go pull your dandelions in suburbia. :P

Leslie: said...

What an incredibly deep man! I must admit I check out his photos but like Daryl in New York, don't really read his posts. I think I will start doing that tomorrow. And I checked out Charity's site, too, and will begin praying for her health.

virtual nexus said...

David, Craver - thanks for this post.
Think this series is showing how to some extent 'normal' posts have to have a performance element in them to sustain interest, whereas an interview reveals more about the person themselves. Good post, and good series idea.

Akelamalu said...

Another great interview and I love the way you chose your blogging name!

maryt/theteach said...

David, excellent interview with Craver! A new blog for me but now I'll visit! :)

Bradley's Mom said...

Thanks again, David, for a wonderful interview, and a great new blogger to visit!

You're the best!

Linda

orneryswife said...

Meeting Craver is one of the wonderful benefits I have gotten from reading your blog, David. I am glad he did the interview, and it was a pleasure getting to know him better.
tm

imbeingheldhostage said...

Thank you for this Sunday Roast-- I really enjoyed this interview and have found-- through your blog yet again-- another great blog to keep up on.