Friday, March 28, 2008

Seeing The Light

I Can See Everything, Thanks To My Ray-Bans

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I learnt a lot in my years as a tennis writer. Having dreamed about Wimbledon as a child, I never could have imagined that I would one day sit at Centre Court, covering the tournament as a fully accredited journalist. My first Wimbledon was in 1981, when John McEnroe finally dethroned Bjorn Borg and my last Wimbledon was in 1987, when Pat Cash thwarted Ivan Lendl in the men's singles final.

Like I said, I learnt a lot. I even learnt about road safety.

How so? Because I learnt how Ray-Bans can actually help you when you're on a dark desert highway (did I just say that?) or on a highway in really bad visibility or in appalling weather conditions.

How on earth did I learn this at Wimbledon? Simply by being observant. Even though the tournament is held in the European summer, characterised by the long evenings, there is often rain and cloud and the light can get rather murky, especially in the late afternoon. The first year I covered Wimbledon, I noticed that the linespeople really had to concentrate on their task even harder in cloudy conditions. But a few years later, I noticed that they all sported Ray-Bans, in bright sunshine and in overcast weather alike.

Curious, I asked why this change had taken place. From memory, I was told that it was official policy of the All-England Club. All linespeople were issued with Ray-Bans and they would wear them at all times. I was told that the quality of the Ray-Ban lenses would actually enhance the clarity of vision in bad light. A crucial white line on the fading grass of the hallowed courts would look clearer through the lenses than with the naked eye.

So the next time I was on a highway in bad weather - returning from Niagara to Toronto, I tried the experiment and immediately I could see the logic. Ever since then, I have always had a pair of Ray-Bans in my car.

So today, as I sat down to write a post for Sky Watch Friday, I uploaded some great sunset photos that I took recently. Then I thought about some of the comments and emails from people who had read my ABC Wednesday post J Is For Journey, in which I mentioned that I had donned my Ray-Bans ("sunnies", as we call them here in Australia) when I drove home from Sydney to Melbourne this week.

And at that point, I decided to scrap the post with pictures of the beautiful colours and the striking hues across the sky, in order to share this road safety hint that I learnt during my career as a tennis writer.

Maybe you have a great road safety tip that you would like to share .... even if you didn't learn it at Wimbledon.

66 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

That first photo rocks, David!

Casdok said...

Interesting and unusual. Love it!

dot said...

Wonderful post and a great photo of the Ray Bans.
David I will add you to Mr. Linky when Tom puts it up but he is going to continue doing Sky Watch.
Always glad to help.

Akelamalu said...

I love my RayBans too. MWM bought some in Turkey a few years ago and it wasn't until we got home we notices it said BanRays on them!

Love the shot!

Anonymous said...

If I'm allowed, I would say that not only you are a talented photograph (that's a fact) but also a very imaginative one also.

Great photo. I'm curious how you did it.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I thought that was a post from Olga the Traveling Bra site at first glance!

Tom said...

I like how you have done this David... it is a great Sky Watch post and more good information.

Thank you
Tom

Jenera said...

very interesting shot! I literally had to stop scrolling and just stare.

Low Iron Only said...

i love the perspective

Unknown said...

I have a pair of Ray-Bans in a case attached to the visor of my car. I, too, learned about them years ago and now don’t drive without them.

Pernille said...

Wonderful photos, but the first one is amazing!!! Love it:)

Mom Knows Everything said...

You take the most amazing photos I have ever seen!

Carletta said...

Such a novel idea! I saw your comment on quintarantino's and I'm anxious to check out your answer.
Awesome photo!

orneryswife said...

Ray Bans Rock. But, I have to say that you did ask for driving tips and here is one that is oft overlooked in this day of too many things to do and too little time to do it in; Driving is a dangerous thing if you are not fully engaged in it. That means you should not plan to read the paper on the morning commute, while talking on your cell phone and smoking a cigarette--unless you are not behind the wheel! Singularly, any of these tasks can be hazardous, but simultaneously it spells disaster! Fresh on my mind from observing such behavior recently. G'day!
TM

Jo said...

What a great photograph. And that's very interesting. I have been debating paying the extra money for RayBans, and now I know it's worth it. Thanks for the tip!

SandyCarlson said...

Ray Bans are wonderful lenses. These are wonderful photos--the consensus goes on!

Marie said...

Great idea!

Unknown said...

Excellent shots David! Great composition. Well done.
You don`t need any UV or polaroid filters for your lens :-)

Kostas said...

Splendid your idea with the glasses, the photographs and the marvellous informative comment!

Maggie May said...

I loved the glasses, seemed to balance the first photo.

imac said...

What a clever sky watch you have David. well done.

Visit my collection of extream weather.

Cath said...

That's cool! Love how you did those shots.

Bjorn Borg was my hero! Darn MacEnroe!

Maybe Bjorn should have worn Ray-Bans...

irish daisies said...

very nice great photo!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: That first photo is really special. The sky through the glasses is a classic.

Anne-Berit said...

Oh,I like that,expessially the first photo.Very good:o)

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great shot! I never would have thought of that angle, yet it really fits in with your post perfectly.

Happy Easter!

Cheers,

David Webb: Photographer

Leslie: said...

This ties in nicely with your previous post for "J is for Journey." And the photos here are, as usual, fantastic. Love how you positioned the Ray Bans.

Paulie said...

Interesting premise and photo too!

Anonymous said...

I've always known Ray-Bans are cool but now I understand why a little better! Nice post David...

Anonymous said...

David, tennis with Ray-bans. May I add..... swim with Ray-bans too! I'm a swim coach and together with my colleagues at work we arm ourselves with sun-shades as well. Swim coaches with what looks like goggles tan around the eyes are actually sun shade tans!! :P
See ya tomorrow at PH :)

♥ Denise BC ♥ said...

The clouds through Ray, were magnificent
Bjs,
Denise BC

Linda said...

How clever - that first photo is really a neat picture.

Anonymous said...

How interesting..and a great picture of your Ray Bans.
How did you take the picture??
Niagara to Toronto?
Close to my home.

-Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Creative shot! Something different from the rest. :) It must be really a wonderful day.

Have a great weekend.

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Sharon said...

This was a different take on sky watch. I loved the photos, especially the first. I didn't know that about Ray Bans! That is a good thing to know. I need to get my husband a pair, he drives a lot. I wear glasses so as much a I'd like a pair....

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

That is a different shot!

Nice view!!

Santilli

Mega said...

Love it David.

Its like looking at the world through your eyes, 'cept you are cool so you gotta have the shades on!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Great perspective!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Amazing shot

Gawdess said...

great image with those sunglasses

Jennifer S said...

The photos are excellent. You proved your point, and put up a cool shot.

I'll keep the advice in mind. Plus, RayBans always look cool.

pts said...

teresting angle.

Lana G! said...

David, thanks for the safety tip! Love the photos and love that they are called sunnies!

FO - 2 said...

Cool Sky Watch! :)
The first shot is fantastic!

Anne said...

GREAT !!! picture. Love to you from Norway.

Daryl said...

This photo is an ace, love.

Sandy Kessler said...

again special framing

Só- Poesias e outros itens said...

Unusual.
Love it!!!
Great photo of the Ray Bans. Unusual perspective.


JU Gioli

Unknown said...

Wow! That photo is awesome! I don't have ray bans, but I wonder what my eyeglasses will see. Probably better if I am not driving while taking that picture.

I Must Confess

lime said...

those are some really neat shots!

bad weather driving tip. on downhill roads roads slick with ice and snow when you need to be going very slow keep the car in neutral. when you are braking you are not fighting the transmission then.

Chris Eldin said...

Hope it's not too late and/or redundant to say how beautiful that photo is!

lv2scpbk said...

Wonderful photo. It's so different and I like it.

Misty DawnS said...

That first photo is awesome!!! What creativity and talent. You are amazing, my friend.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

cooool and good idea

Dick said...

Thank you for the information, very useful. Nice pictures.

Lana Gramlich said...

I assume you were referring to the QEW (between Niagara & Toronto.) Ironically I took a picture of a sunset through my (non-Ray Ban) sunglasses on that very road (on my way from Niagara to Toronto.) Small, strange world!
A post with the picture is here.

Scotty Graham said...

Cool shot, David....

Scotty

San said...

Both photos are dazzling, but the top one is amazing. Looks like the sky is cascading, gaining momentum from being squeezed into the space between your lenses.

Must be a lesson in optics there. Or esthetics. Or both.

Anonymous said...

I can see clearly now, my Ray Bans are on.
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone is the murky sky that had me blind.
It’s gonna be a crisp (crisp), crisp (crisp)
Ray Ban-ning day.

Berit T said...

Very good idea! Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Cool photo!

Kat said...

Amazing shots! So original!
That is fabulous!

Travis said...

I really like that photo. Unusual but creative.

Cláudia said...

What a great shot and also a great idea! Love it!

Anonymous said...

This is the neatest post. Really effective.

alicesg said...

Very interesting way to capture the clouds. I have a lot to learn from you. Sorry for not visiting but I am now back from my vacation. Have a nice weekend. :)