Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pawn Star

Time To Make Your Move

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


The late-afternoon sunlight gave me an interesting subject at a friend's house on Easter Sunday. I shot about eight frames, on both sides of this chess set. I shot the first frame with the flash on, but it completely negated the effect I was hoping to capture. I wanted the soft shadows in the middle of the chessboard, as well as the marbled effect of the board itself. I shot this without the flash and without using any of the lights in the room.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Hi David...Have absolutely no clue as how to play chess...and I mean nil, zilch, nada. Checkers even has me baffled. Nice piece and I always enjoy your photos. For me, my photos show mostly the heads/feet cut off. I think I will just stick to writing - my passion that I seem to do rather well in.

Sorry I was gone so long - I'm back though.

Deb

copper stiletto said...

I love chess! But your title is what cracked me up. Great post!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Deb,

I can play checkers and draughts, but like you, I have no clue to chess.

Always a pleasure to hear from you.

David

david mcmahon said...

Dear Ms Copper Kasparov,

So glad you liked the title. I'm always game to have a bit of fun with headlines!

David

VisionQuest said...

Nameste, I am only just starting out and I was wondering how you placed your photos neatly in a box?

If you visit my blog it has photos without a border, I was wondering if you could possibly help me as I am new to this

I want to give Vishy Anand the great Indian chess world champion and good oppertunity to shine

I thank you in advance,

Steven

VisionQuest said...

Sorry forgot to leave my url

http://achessworld.blogspot.com

VisionQuest said...

Oh I forgot please do not answer to my question on my blog just email me, thx
snicholls5@bigpond.com

david mcmahon said...

Dear visionquest (Stephen)

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I'll certainly take a look at your blog and answer your questions, by email.

Will do so in the next 24 hours if possible.

Cheers

David