Saturday, April 14, 2007

What's Stubby And Colourful?

Here's A Hint: It's Way, Way Cool

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Here's a valuable piece of information on Australian cultural heritage. A `stubby' is your average can of beer. A `stubby holder' is what you stick your stubby in. Why? Because this is a hot country. Hold a cold stubby in a warm, sweaty hand for a few minutes and the beer starts to warm up rapidly. And in a country where warm beer is just not a happening thing (sorry to all my wonderful English friends and relatives) a bloke has to have a stubby holder. These ones, in a rich variety of colours, are on display (naturally) at the Ettamogah Pub.

8 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

So what's wrong with a nice, warm flat beer, then??? Bunch of Wooftahs...

Marianne said...

I remember stubbies! AND stubby holders. Been to the Ettamogah Pub Sanctuary too, some years back. :-)

Now in Darwin, the stubbies and holders are about three to four times the size of the southern ones. :-D

Marianne

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

Not like you to stir up a hornets' nest!!

I'm not a drinker but if I were going to have an ale, I'd have it cold!

The only thing that's good when it's warm and flat is the English Channel.

Be good!

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Marianne,

Yes, I thought it would jog your memory!

Spent a coupla months in the Territory (mainly Darwin) in 1981. Couldn't believe the size of the stubbies there!

David

lissa said...

Thanks for putting me on the list.

I do visit your blog but never actually commented. I rarely have something to said. Sorry about that.

lissa.

david mcmahon said...

Dear Lissa,

You're most welcome. I do enjoy your blog - as you know. I think you and toiletpaper56 have absolutely dominated the competition.

I think you have a great blog and you are so modest about your achievements.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for visiting my site.

Take care. Happy blogging. And if there's anything I can do for you, just let me know.

Keep smiling

David

mcglinch said...

we call them 'coozies' on this side of the world.

david mcmahon said...

G'day McGlinch,

Tell me, Big Mac, what's the origin of that word?

I'm fascinated - never heard that one before.

Can't wait for your reply!

Cheers

David