Sunday, April 15, 2007

'Screen Shot

Red Raindrops And A White Wedding

Photograph copyright: MATTHEW McMAHON

We were on our way to a wedding reception a few hours ago and my son was using my camera to shoot an unusual sunset - while I drove down the freeway at 100 kilometres an hour, sticking scrupulously to the speed limit! He was shooting from the rear left-hand seat and at one stage, as I came to a stop at a set of lights near Rod Laver Arena on the fringe of the city, we suddenly had a few isolated raindrops. He shot this image very quickly, using the manual focus. He concentrated on the raindrops hitting the windscreen and captured a really unusual sight. Look carefully at the drops and you'll see they're each tinged clearly with bright red - the reflection of the brake lights of the car in front of me. The city is in soft focus in the background, at a time when he had only a few seconds to decide how to take the shot. He was spot-on with his decision, I reckon.

4 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Crumbs - chip off the old block, then.. very promising!

Deborah Gamble said...

I'd have to agree with Shrink Wrapped. Junior looks to be full of talent as well.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

Aye, he's good an eye for it. I've never pushed any of my kids into photography, but they ``see'' shots, just grab my camera and capture what they see.

I reckon it's great because they're learning to think outside the square.

Matt was thrilled with your comment, by the way!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Deborah,

He really enjoys using the camera and the interesting thing is that he chooses what he wants to photograph (see above).

His pictures feature fairly often on this blog, and my daughter Melanie is even more keen on using the camera - although she uses it in automatic mode. Have featured one of her shots too, of a rose.

By the way, Matt was delighted with your comment on his shot.

Take care

David