Thursday, April 12, 2007

Piano Forte

Picture This Bosendorfer (Upside Down)

Englishman Brian Haigh moves grand pianos for a living. But he and two colleagues managed to drop a £26,000 Bosendorfer grand piano - which the organisers of the Two Moors Festival had spent two years saving up to buy. "In all my life I have never felt the way that I felt when it hit the ground," he said. "I have moved countless numbers of pianos over the years, but this is the first time that this has ever happened. I was pretty upset and it hit me again this morning when someone opened up a paper while I was on the Underground and recognised me from the photographs." To see photographs of the incident, go to Ben Quinn's report at Telegraph.co.uk.

4 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

This was covered in my local news, and made me wince, but also laugh, when the poor woman, so looking forward the delivery, was quoted as saying, "I felt like I was part of a Laurel and Hardy sketch." She is the one who supplied the photographs, so excited as she was, and wanting to record it's delivery! How horrific, eh?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

I wondered where the pictures had come from!

I'm hoping her insurance or the piano removalists' insurance would cover the cost of a replacement.

Do give us an update when you can.

David

Anonymous said...

Ouch, I felt for the mover, but can hardly bear the thought of such an item being destroyed!

By the way Dave, this piece of news came over the airwaves exactly two days after your post, so if you keep this up, I won't need to bother with our national news ...!

Carol Mc

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Yes, like you I really felt for the mover - and the fact that he is now recognised on the Tube on the basis of pictures taken at the scene of the up-ended piano!

Very interested in your comment that it was reported 48 hours after I mentioned it. I actually ran the story almost 24 hours after it happened - and should have done so earlier!

Take care. Say hi to Neil for me.

David