Saturday, April 21, 2007

It's All There In Black And White

Quebec City's Skyline In Spires

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This shot of Quebec City on a rainy September afternoon is an original image and has not been digitally altered in any way. Neither is it a black-and-white rendering of a colour shot. What you see here is exactly what I saw through the viewfinder of my Canon EOS 3000 (a film camera, not a digital variety). But look carefully above the light pole on the right and you'll see a tiny patch of blue sky, clearly visible on a high-resolution shot but harder to spot on this, a low-res version. I took this from the Lower City, near the marina, in a steady drizzle. The many spires make it an unusual photograph and of course that is the magnificent Chateau Frontenac, symbol of the city, on the left. If you have a great Quebec City story or photograph, do post your url here.

12 comments:

John said...

Your photos are always very interesting.I want to add photos to my blog. Can you provide some links I may visit to help me learn a bit about creating some good shots?

Regards,

John

http://whodatdarepokah.blogspot.com

david mcmahon said...

G'day Whodatdare,

Thanks for the comment - have left a detailed reply on your blog.

Let me know how you fare.

David

Stacy said...

Hi David, I will be in Quebec next month, so I'll be sure to post some pictures on my site.

Thank you for the Anglo Indian site information. I couldn't find your travel stories, though. Where should I be looking?

Stacy said...

oops! I found your stories after all! I'm off to read them...

Deborah Gamble said...

David,
How do you score such great jobs - like writing novels and photographing Quebec City? Yours is a dream life!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Stacy,

Quebec City is wonderful, many moods, many periods of history.

You'll find quite a few posts on Quebec in the early part of my blog.

Take your camera - there are a hundred shots on every corner.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Stacy,

Glad you find the travel stories on Terry's Portal.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Deborah,

Yes, a dream life indeed. Married to the girl of my dreams, father of three loving children. And I had a happy childhood, surrounded by people who loved me and gave me affection and respect in equal volumes.

Take care

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Spooooky.

david mcmahon said...

Ht BTBear,

And a beautiful city, even in rain and cloud!

David

Anonymous said...

Jumped into an old post... Never been to Quebec City. My Father's Scots-Irish ancestors landed there about 1829. They settled about 30 miles south of Quebec City in Frampton. My Mother's French ancestor arrived way back in the 1600's.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chewy,

That's fascinating. It's an amazing city.

You're so lucky to know so much about your family history. Stay tuned and I'll tell you how our clan is working on this.

Cheers

David