Friday, February 09, 2007

The Amazing Rays

Sorry To Say, You're The Last Team To Arise


Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Early at work this morning, I walked over to an area I don't normally go to - and spent several seconds staring at this sight. From my eleventh-floor window, I could see the sunrise reflected flawlessly in the IBM building alongside. Let me stress this. The reflection is NOT in the windows; it is actually shining off the side of the office tower. So I grabbed my camera and took the first shot. Then, a little while later, I took the second frame and this time you can see the sun in the window and that stretch of blue between the two buildings is of course Port Philip Bay. I guess it pays to be an early riser.

My friend Terry Fletcher always tells me that no one should be up this early, but then think of all the photo opportunities I'd be missing! And, while we swelter in the Australian summer, have a look at this great picture and blogpost from the other side of the world, in Gravenhurst, Canada. The post is titled Looking Out Back and it's by my fellow blogger, Allan Cook.

2 comments:

Fletch said...

I shall 'graciously' allow you to monopolise the sunrise pictures - I'll stick with sunsets!

How the hell do you manage to get your verticals - well, so vertical?

Another thought: I am sure SenĂ³r Picasso would have approved, but which category ought one to place it in - Cubism or Surrealism?

david mcmahon said...

Telmeister,
I've never been mentioned in the same sentence as Pablo before! I guess because I'm just a keen photographer it'd be Keenism.
It's interesting, your comment about vertical - I very seldom shoot vertical frames. The ration of vertical to horizontal is about 1:5 and curiously enough, I seldom post a vertical picture on this blog.
Cheers
David