Monday, February 26, 2007

Who Stole Our Thunder?

Not Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

For the past ten days, the weather experts have said we'll get ``evening thunderstorms'' - but we haven't had a drop of rain. Nix. Zilch. Nada. This shot was taken a couple of evenings ago, as we were driving through Melbourne's eastern suburbs. There was a light drizzle and the streets were wet for all of 500 metres - and then there was nothing. I pulled over and took this shot because it looked like there was a huge storm coming - but it all blew over, again. There were lots of grey-blue tones in the stormy sky, but I had to get in a gum tree and some local colour, so I settled on the ad for VB, or Victoria Bitter. No rain yet. Surely this drought has to break soon. What wouldn't I give for a good, old-fashioned thunderstorm!

FOOTNOTE: What God hath put together, let no man put a-thunder.

5 comments:

Bart said...

Man, around here, we get rainless lightning all the time, because of the humidity in summer. It's really freaky if you've never experienced it before. But it is fun to watch if you're on the beach (I live about 2 and half hours from the Atlantic) at night and it's doing it over the ocean. Now that's a picture I'd love to take. Baby steps, though...

david mcmahon said...

Nice info, Bart,

I grew up in India, where lightning only came with rain - and I mean RAIN!

I'd never seen rainless lightning until recently.

Glad you liked the picture. It ain't rocket science. I carry my camera most of the time - and if I take a second look at something (anything) I photograph it.

Cheers

David

Bart said...

Yeah, I'm pretty good at the simple stuff. I've got a Nikon Digital Coolpix 2100. Pretty basic stuff. One of these days I'm gonna save up some money and get a decent digital SLR and carry it with me everywhere, just like I should be carrying a notepad everywhere I go. Of course, I can usually remember my thoughts to write them down whenever, taking a picture an hour later is usually not gonna happen.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

The Coolpix 2100 sounds fine to me. The trick is to work out what you WANT from a camera - and then to go looking for it.

Too many people make the mistake of buying a camera because it looks cool - without stopping to think if it suits their purposes.

Most of the digital SLRs now have dropped in price, and you'd get plenty of change back from $800 for something with bells and whistles.

When you;re ready to buy, let me know and I'll give you some recommendations, along with the viewpoints of some photographer friends.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

I like your sense of humour in this piece! Thanks for your positive comments about my blog. Come visit any time. Cheers!