Thursday, February 22, 2007

Fate Accompli

Too Many Coincidences To Be A Coincidence

I've had many amazing coincidences in my life, but this one took the cake.
Just before I left Calcutta to come and live here in Melbourne, the receptionist in our newspaper office rang me and said there was a young man at the front desk. He was applying for a job as a journalist and wanted to know if anyone could read through his application before he submitted it.
No worries, I said to the receptionist, send him up and I'll look through his paperwork. He was on our floor in a few minutes and I took the pleasant young man into the magazine area.I chatted with him for a few minutes and then I began looking through his application.
``Is that really where you live?'' I asked him. Yes, he said.
It was the house where I was born and lived for the first 12 years of my life. Even the telephone number was still the same.
Quite a coincidence? Absolutely. But factor this into the equation - this took place in a city with a population of 17 million people. Go figure.
And it happens to me all the time. At an overseas wedding, thousands of miles away from the city where I grew up, a woman came up to me and asked: ``You're Michael McMahon, aren't you?'' No, but I was Michael's younger brother. And the last time she saw me, I was about six years old. Go figure.
Another time, during the years when I travelled the world as a sportswriter, I had just finished work during a Test match at Lord's. I walked down to St John's Wood, the closest Tube station and on a crowded platform, a bloke my age came rushing up to me, greeting me with an exuberant``Lester, how are you?''
I told him I was not Lester, but I knew exactly who he was mistaking me for - a childhood friend of mine with whom I had many amusing instances of mistaken identity. The bloke on the platform and I got talking and in a few minutes we realised we had played cricket against each other as schoolboys in Darjeeling, I in the colours of North Point and he in the Mount Hermon squad. Go figure.
Some years ago, when my son was at kindergarten here in Melbourne, he had a friend called Nathaniel. But like all four-year-olds, neither of them knew the other's surname. On the last day of kindergarten for the year, one of the speech-makers thanked a woman called Indrani Guinan. My ears pricked up. Later I approached the woman and asked her if by any chance she knew the brothers Roger and Michael Guinan, from Sri Lanka.
She certainly did. She was married to Michael Guinan.
Michael and I were classmates in Darjeeling, India, ten thousand kilometres away. They, of course, were Nathaniel's parents. My classmate and I had lived within a few streets of each other for years, without knowing it. And, against all odds, our sons were classmates a generation later. Go figure.
Want to read some more of my experiences? Go to Kismet, Kate at Terry Fletcher's excellentAnglo-Indian Portal. See if you can explain (or work out the mathematical odds of the occurrence) how my birth date came up in the most unexpected manner.
Like I said, go figure.

2 comments:

hatefulofshallow said...

Hello you took time to look at my blogg and I just wanted to say thank you. I have read a few of your post now and I like what you have done very much. I have driving lesson now, but I have book marked your blog and will definately come back and read more.Great stuff.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Melbourne,

Thanks for taking the trouble to visit and post a comment. It was my pleasure to look at your blog. If you need any help/ advice with blogging, just drop me a comment here and I'll certainly assist.

Good luck with the driving lesson.

I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. Do come back and keep reading what I post. I'm glad you think it's great stuff.

Cheers

David