Monday, February 19, 2007

Get On The Lecter Tour

Lithuanian Firm Offers Hannibal Encounter

If you want to meet Hannibal ``The Cannibal'' Lecter, a Lithuanian tour firm can help. In `Hannibal Rising’ , the newly-released film based on the novel by Thomas Harris, the childhood of the fictional man-eating serial killer is set in the Baltic state. In the film, a prequel to `Silence of the Lambs’, Lecter is born into a noble Lithuanian family. He sees his sister killed and eaten by militiamen during World War II, a trauma that later turns him to murder and cannibalism. Aurimus Jukna, director of the tour company Saules Kelias, says $130 will get you a trip around the capital, Vilnius, as well as a ``Hannibal feast'' and a meeting with ``Lecter''.

FOOTNOTE #1: No finger food will be served.

FOOTNOTE #2: Leave a comment on whether you think `Hannibal Rising' will be as popular as `Silence of the Lambs'.

6 comments:

Steph Lealman said...

Hmmm a toughie - SOTL seems destined to turn into a franchise a bit like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and as to what I think about those films, the term flogging a dead horse springs to mind.
I don't doubt the movie won't make millions though - The pshychological reasons behind the actions of mass murderers, cannibals, rapists - Whether real or fictional - Are of great interest to loads of people, with an almost voyerish feel to it - People want to know what makes these people tick, and why they do what they do.
So that probably also has something to do with the Hannibal Lecter tour trip - Horror sells.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

Nice to hear from you again.

You're right, my first editor told me that the horror/ fear combination always holds a morbid interest for readers or viewers.

Like you, I reckon SOTL is becoming a franchise, but if it keeps the profit margin healthy for all concerned, good on them.

The film-going public is far too discerning to pay to watch trash, so I'd be very interested to see how the new film does.

Take care

David

Anonymous said...

"Lecter Tour".. love your pun (as usual.) In prequels one already knows the ending so it holds less of an attraction than the original or a sequel. But then, "Revenge of the Sith" did very well. I saw and enjoyed it too, and had not realized beforehand that it was a prequel.

My wife and friends say I care much more about endings than a typical viewer. Still, I'm predicting this one will fall far short of the original. Let's see...
Sandip Madan

Jenera said...

I JUST finished reading the book 'Hannibal Rising' and it is great! Mostly because it makes Hannibal seem human and not so crazy. That said, I'm not sure how good the movie will do. There is such a following of Silence of The Lambs that it may be heavily criticized. Though Thomas Harris is heavily involved in the writing of the screenplays. For example, 'Hannibal' was very close to the book. I have read all four books and I am very excited to see the movie and see how good it is!

Jenera

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sandip,

Always honoured to have you visit my blog. Glad you liked the ``Lecter Tour'' headline. Prequels confuse me beyond belief, so I'll just watch it with an open mind just like you.
Say hi to Anita and the girls for me.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jenera,

Great comment. You must be the first person I know who's read all four, so your opinion of the film is going to be one to watch.
Keep blogging and keep in touch.

David