Sunday, February 25, 2007

No Kazakh Stand

Borat Has No Role As Oscar Presenter

So that's it, then. Borat will not be a presenter at the Oscars. Sacha Baron Cohen will not have any official duties on the podium - because his request to appear as his alter ego, Borat Sagdiyev, was turned down. Cohen, whose global promotion of the hit film was carried out not as himself but in the persona of Borat, was certainly invited to present an award, but things got a bit murky after that. The most coherent explanation comes from cinemablend.com. The site quotes Oscar broadcast producer Laura Ziskon, who told the Los Angeles Times, ``He was asked, but he declined''. Cohen, of course, could still apear on stage - as himself - if his film wins for Best Adapted Screenplay.

6 comments:

Bart said...

That's probably for the best. I don't think he would have conformed for the Oscar standards, probably just the opposite. Might be why he declined, figured they had no clue what they were asking.

Fletch said...

You and I have this 'thing' about checking out the stats, so I took a quick dive into Sitemeter. Intrigued by a connection from ".sk" I looked a little closer. Here's a précis of what is logged . . .

-----------------------------------
Continent : Europe
Country : Slovakia
City : Komrno
Lat/Long : 47.7667, 18.1333

Language : unknown
Operating System : Microsoft WinXP
Browser : Firefox

Time of Visit : Feb 25 2007 9:06:10 am
Last Page View : Feb 25 2007 9:06:10 am
Visit Length : 0 seconds
Page Views : 1

Visit Entry Page http://david-mcmahon...no-kazakh-stand.html
Visit Exit Page http://david-mcmahon...no-kazakh-stand.html
-----------------------------------

Looks like your obliqe reference to 'Kazakhstan' got at least one nibble.

Wasn't Borat-Cohen, either!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

You are probably correct. I think he is a gifted individual - who would not have hesitated to deviate from the script given to him by the Oscars committee.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

El Tel,

Well spotted, O Sherlock Holmes of the internet. Might have been Borat himself - I hope I checked the mango fool recipe as well!

David

F.J. Delgado said...

It would have been funny to see Borat presenting... at least I got a kick out of the always funny Will Ferrell.

I like your blog, would love it if you could stop by mine and give me some input, especially since I use the same template.

Peace!

david mcmahon said...

Hi FJ,

Like you, I think Will Ferrell is terrific.

I'm glad you like this blog. Do let me have a link to your blog so I can pay you a visit.

Just leave your link here and I'll check it out. By the way, why don;t you nominate your blog for the Aussiejourno Weekly Blog Awards (see the post on my blog) - all you have to do is leave your url as a comment.

Cheers

David aka assiejourno