Monday, February 19, 2007

You Must Be Elm Macpherson

Where Are We? In The Everglades?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

Makes you look twice, doesn't it? It reminds me of one of those jet boats in the Everglades. Actually, this is a Melbourne landmark. I took this shot on the weekend, when it seemed the mercury couldn't climb any higher. This is a really unusual angle and if you're trying to work out what it depicts, I'll give you a little help. This is the unique whalebone structure of Rod Laver Arena, which is the official name for Centre Court at Melbourne Park, home of the Australian Open tennis tournament. Most pictures are taken from 90 degrees either side of where I was standing - which is why this view looks unfamiliar. The trees, in case you're wondering, are not Australian native trees. They're the famous English elms planted by the Yarra bank by the early settlers, who pined for the familiar greenery of England. Just for the record, I shot this from the opposite bank of the river, using my Pentax K100D and utilising the 18-125 lens for a nice, tight frame.

No comments: