Thursday, February 01, 2007

Anchor Management

Ahoy There, Me Hearties

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This was taken down on the jetty at Quebec City on a drizzly September afternoon. I wasn't really concentrating on the background as I was fascinated by the bow of this cruise liner. You see, I grew up within a stone's throw of the busy Calcutta docks, so ships were pretty much a part of my family's life. Engrossed with my Canon EOS 3000 (a film camera) I was simply trying to get the bow of the vessel to go diagonally across my viewfinder, from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, which can be a bit harder than it sounds! Having done that, I was just about to turn away - when I noticed the little yacht going one way and the medium-sized sailing ship going the other. I waited to get them all in one shot and was pretty happy with it. Not a lot of colour, I know, but a nice time capsule of shipping history, culture and styles.

No comments: