Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Power Play Begins Here

You Think I'm Talking Through My Hat?


Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


As regular visitors to this blog would know, I don't just photograph great landscapes or unusual sights. The real challenge, I reckon, lies in photographing everyday objects. These computer cables and power sockets were lying on a reporter's desk this morning and I could not resist taking a few shots. After I had shot three frames, I looked at it from a different angle - and noticed the abandoned keyboard and a summer hat belonging to one of my colleagues, hence the second shot. I also want to point out that I didn't ``set up'' this shot or re-arrange any of the objects. I shoot things as I see them. I even resisted putting a nearby bottle of chilli sauce near the hat, for a bit of extra colour. You know why? Because good journalists never reveal their sauces, er, sources.

8 comments:

Furlans de diaspore said...

very true.

I find that the small details create the best opportunities for interesting photos.

can I participate to your blog contest ?

whenthesky.blogspot.com

david mcmahon said...

Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you like the concept.

Of course you can nominate your blog for Aussiejourno's Weekly Blog Awards. Just leave the link at http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/2007/02/aussiejournos-weekly-blog-awards.html and good luck to you.

Bart said...

In a slightly unrelated note, when I become King and Master of the world, I'm going to standardize power outlets and conventional commercial plugs.

Anonymous said...

You certainly do have a sense of humour, David! I like the images in this post. Look forward to seeing your cellphone efforts -- let me know when you've done so and I'll come and visit and comment. Cheers! PS: I thought nominations were about others who think one's blog is terrific, not oneself doing that...?! What is that called...?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,
I shall personally anoint you King and Master immediately. Go forth and standardise the outlets and plugs - and you'll be knighted as well.
You could be the next kazillionaire. Go for it.
David

Dear Janina,
I'm so glad I made you smile. Yes, I do like to have a chuckle!
Will pot the cellphone efforts on the weekend - been a very busy week here. Do come and visit again.
Nominations are open to anyone, and you can either nominate your own blog and/or one that has impressed you.
Look forward to hearing from you again
David

Anonymous said...

Hello:
Excuse the unrelated post. I have been reading reviews of your book, "Vegemite Vindaloo" I would love to read it. Has it ever been released in Canada, as I have been unable to find a copy.

Thanks...Sylvia.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Hollydolly/ Sylvia,

Thank you for getting in touch.

It hasn't been released in Canada, but I can tell you how to get it very easily.

I know Amazon was selling it, but the book is also available through the Penguin Books (India) website as well as www.oxfordbookstore.com where you just need to go to the `For My Readers' section and go to the archive. There's a feature article on the novel there, and you can order it thru the site. A number of friends in the US and Canada have done this.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Janina,

Thanks for your comment. Glad the site makes you chuckle.
Yes, I must download the cellphone shots - you can tell me what you think.
Take care

David