Thursday, February 22, 2007

Everybody's Doin' The Loco Emotion

Train Drivers Just Love To Express Themselves

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON
The light was right, the view was unusual - and there was no time to waste, because the historic narrow-gauge engine was just pulling out of the station. I took this shot in Adelaide, South Australia and it was a toss-up to determine whether I was puffing more than the vintage engine! This mini steam engine runs up and down the beachfront, with level crossings marking entry points to the beautiful stretch of beach that runs past Semaphore and Port Adelaide. It was late evening and I was right down the pier at Port Adelaide when I heard the train pulling in. I had to sprint down the pier and across the white, soft sand to get to the station just before the train pulled out - in reverse, back towards Semaphore. It was actually moving away and I only had time to shoot four or five frames. This was the last of them and the one I was happiest with.
FOOTNOTE: Just another steamy episode.

4 comments:

Ted said...

Hi David, I saw you blog link on a reply to someone that was looking to get more traffic to there blog. Thats me as well. So I figured i would follow some others people advice and check out their blogs and post on the forum. I love the combination of text and pictures that you have going on. The template is neat also. Is that custom?

Peace!
Ted
http://triforhope.blogspot.com/

Bart said...

I love the "Caution: Hot" warning.

Seriously, whatever happened to survival of the fittest? Oh well.

Keep on keeping on.

Oh, and about the photography, I do have a simple point and click digital, and I do use that, so it's not like I don't ever take pictures. In fact, I took some of my dog, which I put up today at my blog. Because he's a nutbar and needs to be mentioned every once in awhile.

www.bartraeke.com

david mcmahon said...

G'day Ted,

That's a good way to do it. I hope the advice I've been giving new bloggers helps them - and you.

Glad you like the blog. No the template is one that was on offer when I started blogging. I liked it bcos it's so simple.

I'm glad you liked the combination of text and pictures.

If you have any specific issues I can help with, just contact me here.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Yes, the ``Caution: Hot'' sign was what caught my attention too.

Will check out your pictures.

Cheers

David