Thursday, February 01, 2007

Gizmo Machismo :)

Disk Shockey

Isn't it interesting that Vista, the new bells-'n'-whistles Microsoft operating system, still pays homage to the humble floppy disk? No, no, don't panic, there's no disk drive, but the 1.44MB floppy has been retained as the icon for the ``Save As'' function in Microsoft Word.
Doesn't seem that long ago that we recoiled in horror in 1998 when Apple gave us the iMac that bypassed the disk drive. Then Dell embraced the idea in 2003 and now you'd be hard-pressed to find any decent PC with a slot for all your old floppy disks.
Yes, I know we all embraced the concept of USB drives and memory cards, but don’t we all have a stash of floppy disks on a shelf at home? I certainly do. I’m not a hoarder, either – but I cannot bring myself to toss them out.
While on the subject, I enjoyed a report at BBC.com that says, ``The time has come to bid farewell to one of the PC's more stalwart friends - the floppy disk. Computing superstore PC World said it will no longer sell the storage devices, affectionately known as floppies, once existing stock runs out.’’

FOOTNOTE: The original floppies held only 100KB of data.

No comments: