Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fools' Paradise

`Mango Fool': The Prince Of Summer Drinks

Photograph copyright: MATTHEW McMAHON


We were cutting up some Queensland mangoes this week, when I suddenly remembered the amazing homemade drink ``mango fool'' that was a summer staple as I grew up in India. I had always wondered why it was called ``fool'' and asked Terry Fletcher, who in turn scouted around and told me: ``The name `fool' may have come from the French verb `fouler', to mash, but no one’s sure.'' So I sent out some emails, asking friends from around the world if they knew why it was called mango fool, and also to tell me their memories of the amazing drink. These are some of their responses ....

``I never questioned why it is called mango fool. I would love to know where/how it got its name. It is delicious. I make my western version of it made with Alphonso’s mango pulp. It is not the same! This summer was a great time to have some after another tiresome and Frustrating morning on the golf course. We had a mango tree in our compound in Karachi. This was the source for our raw material. When the cook ``halalled'' the chickens, he let the blood run at the roots of the mango tree. He said it will give the mangoes a red colour. I have fond memories, as a child, of drinking as much as I could get of this beautiful drink. I have a good idea to take the recipe to one of the major drinks manufactures, and then we can all have mango fool instead of Big M. ''
- Brian Brookes, Melbourne

``I remember our cook making us mango fool from raw mangoes with sugar. It was very cooling on a hot summer day. Cheap and cheerful in those days. I guess it was another AI recipe.''
- Beverley Christopher, Sydney

``Yes David, we did enjoy a tall glass of chilled mango fool during the scorching summer season in Madras. We used "chenk" polly mangoes or ripe baiganpalli mangoes, curd and a generous amount of sugar. These ingredients were blended in an electric mixer and then served with a few icecubes , in tall glasses. The ayah would ask us to "drink up" as it would cool the system. Not sure what the difference between Lassi and mango fool is as they seem to have the same
ingredients. (``Chenk" - Unsure as to the origin of this word - but in South India it meant ....... when the fruit was just starting to ripen.''
- Doreen Jonas, Perth

``Mango fool: a fond memory from my childhood in Rawalpindi. A lovely cooling drink, made from shredded green mango with milk and sugar! Or alternatively, mango mixed with water, salt n pepper and a squeeze of lime! No green mangoes in New Zealand's South Island, so no mango fool, sadly. ''
- Dorothy McMenamin, New Zealand

``Yes, I do remember a glass of cool mango fool on a hot summer afternoon. Mum made it by boiling the greenish mango with sugar and then serving it cool to us with ice as we had no fridge at home. She said that it would help us from not getting the bad effect of the hot air, looh. ''
- Esther Lyons, UK

``I have a mango tree growing in my back yard, David. It's quite ironic because when we used to live in Park Street, we had a huge mangoe tree in our front yard, downstairs. Lloyd got this mango seed sometime and planted it and every other year we get at least 50 mangoes. Have not made mango fool but have certainly made a fool out of myself with the mangos here (how corney is that!). We got a big crop this year. Mangoes in Perth cost about $4 each. Pity I am not the money-making type! Still got a dozen wrapped in newspaper to help them ripen. I LOVE MANGOES. Always have. Hope you get good stories because I am not good at anecdotes!''
- Linda D'Cruz, Perth

``Fond memories came rushing back of mango fool.''
- Avril Ayo, Sydney

``I will be in Kolkata and will check out on this. I have not come across mango fool in Mumbai or any other place. actually, not even in Kolkata. maybe I have known it by some other name. I look forward to reading your blog on this subject.''
- Gopal Srinivasan, Mumbai

``Dad was the only one in the house allowed to make it. I was the one that climbed the trees for the right sized 'unripe' mangoes. They were laid to 'cook' in the hot ash below the fire, hauled out, skinned and 'hand-pulped' to dad's satisfaction. A bit of lemon juice from freshly squeezed lemons and much liberal sprinkling of sugar to get the right taste, and then some ice was added to each glass before drinking. Absolutely loved the stuff. Can't get 'green' mangoes because they don't export them, so that just has to remain a fond memory! Did a quick search and ALL the recipes state 'ripe' mangoes. Looks like dad's recipe was targeted at green mangoes, so that's all I remember!''
- Terry Fletcher, Lisbon

AND HERE'S A RECIPE, COURTESY TERRY FLETCHER

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

3 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
75g/3oz icing sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp orange juice
300ml/10fl.oz. double cream, chilled

1. Place the mango flesh in a food processor together with the sugar, lime juice, and orange juice and blend until smooth.
2. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, cover with clingfilm and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Whip the chilled cream until to the soft peak stage then fold it into the chilled mango mixture.
4. Transfer to individual serving dishes and serve immediately.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am horribly embarassed at having left a typo in my entry. I leave them when I'm tired and don't see them. Thanks for visiting my blog and giving me some tips!

david mcmahon said...

G'day, sparksofblue,

You won't be judged on one typo, rather the overall look and tone of what you write.

Any advice you need, or feedback you're looking for, just contact me here and you'll always get a forthright reply within 24 hours.

Good luck and keep blogging.

David

Anonymous said...

I wonder if 'fool' was a corruption of the Hindi word 'phool' which means flower?? An enigma.

In our home green mangoes were always used, so the drink was white, rather than a pale yellow or the bright color of ripe mangoes. Also the green mangoes are to be boiled, and they soften immediately, like some apples, whereupon they are pureed and when cool, added to milk or cream, with sugar to taste.

Carol M.

Fletch said...

I concur Carol's recipe, except that dad had this 'secret' of softening them in the hot ashes. I suppose it is the equivalent to roasting them in the oven these days. I also forgot to mention the addition of milk to give it some 'body'. And yes, as Carol says, the finished product was an off-white colour rather than the colour of ripe mangoes.

The recipe I forwarded to you is one of those 'dessert' recipes that abound on the net these days, and is not really a drink. Perhaps your readers should discount it as a genuine suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, the FIRST photograph makes the fruit look even more delectable than the SECOND!!!!

Two photographers in the family, two artists? Now that's a recipe Dave, that can be interesting! Though guys are such chums, you'll have such great times - instead of going fishing, you go snapping, and dinner is cold on the table?!

Carol McFarlane

Overpriced Designer Man Bag said...

hot diggity, i LOVE mangos! has anyone tried mango wine?

Unknown said...

David,
You sure got Carol going on this blogging thing. Great fun! Of course, she wanted me to add my comment so here goes...of course we often boast about our respective countries (mine Jamaica) and the luscious recipes that come from de island mon! Here's de Jamaican take on Mango Fool:
We use in addition to all of the other ingredients mentioned a dab of white rum and of course an egg as well as a couple table spoons of cream...I guarantee there's none quite like it this side of the Americas. But then I shouldn't brag, after all, another Jamaican or Trinidadian may have an eve more sumptious recipe to add...
As we say in Jamaica - "no problem mon!"

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol, Neil and El Tel,

Many thanks for all that feedback. Neil, wonderful to hear from you - we must do this more often.

Will reply to you on email about the camera details.

I did wonder about ``phool''. By the way, this recipe gets better and better!

El Tel, I'd never heard of the ashes - apart from the cricket connotation (which Neil would enjoy, I'm sure).

Yes, Carol, I did mutter to Matt that I'd give his photograph top billing, over his old man's effort!

Neil, you and I have the same attitude: ``No problem, mon.'' Maybe we're related!

No worries, be happy

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi, cc:inap!

Now you've got me curious (and I'm sure a lot of other people as well). Mango wine? Sounds sensational. More details, please ....
Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

This comment received by email from Jenny Busby in Perth, Western Australia:

``Yes, I remember Mango Fool -sitting on the verandah on a really hot day and drinking this. It was like heaven - haven't had it for many years now. My Dad used to serve it up on hot days in Oz, but since he passed away in '94 can't say I have had any. I've had the Mango Lassi but can't quite get the real taste of the Mango Fool.''

Anonymous said...

Try Terry's recipe with green (unripe) mango. An amazing variation, great for cooling off in summer!!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Nirmal,

Now you've got me green with envy.

David

david mcmahon said...

Email received from Jayaditya Gupta:

``Just read your blog on mango fool. Not sure of the origin of the word (it even escaped my mum, who is usually clued up on these things) but it certainly evoked memories.

What is interesting is the interpretation of fool; in our house, it would be a pudding, a thick, smooth liquid (the consistency of lemon curd) served in a bowl, not a glass.

In fact one of my favourite puddings of all is tepari fool (I'm sure you remember teparis), thick, yellow, and tart...I spent six years in Gujarat, where one of the few summer delights was "keri no ras", or mango juice, sold at every street corner by the litre, which we'd dilute with milk because it was so thick.

Thanks for the memories.

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Joy (Jayaditya)

Always a great pleasure to hear from you. Yes, tepari fool was my father's favourite. I think you're onto something here with the explanation of ``fool''.

I think you have nailed it, Sherlock.

``Fool'', I gather, was a generic term for something edible with a thick enough consistency that it needed to be ``reduced''.

My humble thanks to your Mum as well for her input.

David

E.J. "Samadhi" Whitehouse said...

I LOVE mangos... so much that I paid $5 Canadian bucks for a huge Aussie mango. It was worth every strip of dental floss!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Samadhi,

Ah yes, I agree with you. We've got some great mangoes at the moment.

Chuckled at the ``dental floss'' comment.

Take care and say hi to Marion.

David