Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lunar Tick

The Full Moon Sits Low Over Melbourne

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


If you looked twice at this photograph, then I guess it's a good shot. Shortly before dawn this morning I was on the freeway when I noticed how low the full moon was. It's a strange thing and maybe someone can explain it scientifically, but of all the countries I've visited, I've never seen the moon as big as I do here in Australia. I just had to get a shot, but because it was inky blackness all round me, there was nothing to put the moon in perspective. So I did the next best thing and took the nearest exit ramp. Lucky I did, because I realised immediately what I had to do. I pulled over, snatched my Pentax and quickly fired off five frames. This was the first. The two red-and-yellow lights are the tail lights of a ute (okay, a pickup for those of you in the US). The remaining four red spots are traffic lights, while the others are street lights. So, which is the moon? It's the white light, on the top left.

5 comments:

Fletch said...

Good game! Good game!

I guessed top/centre-right, and even justified my choice by identifying the corona around the darn street light!!

But there's got to be a law against people getting up that early in the morning!

david mcmahon said...

El Tel,
Great to hear that you appreciated it. I showed the shot to a couple of colleagues at work - and they, like you, picked the street light! I guess the angles/ height had something to do with it. Like I said, the moon was VERY low. Nice to know the shot was a hit.
David

Anonymous said...

Thats a very nice and different kind of a shot. Well I guess Ia m one of the first to pick the right moon. For me atleast the white colour helped me guess it right.

Siddharth

david mcmahon said...

Hi Siddharth,
You certainly are the first to pick the right one. Strangely enough, 24 hours earlier, the moon was the colour of those gold-coin chocolates we used to get as kids!
How's the new camera going?
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

havent picked it up yet.. realised that I needed to save up for another few months before I could get the required lens and all. Should have it by April or May... Siddharth