Thursday, February 08, 2007

Light Entertainment

Time To Do Some Shadow Boxing

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

We were walking around Sorrento, on the Mornington Peninsula, when I looked up and noticed the striking shadow of the solitary light above the Continental Hotel cafe. This was shot on a little Pentax Optio, a few minutes after we had stepped off the ferry from Queenscliff. It was mid-morning and I was captivated by the simple, old-fashioned lampshade, the whitewashed timber exterior, the brick wall to the left and of course the clear blue sky, so typical of a hot Australian summer day. The light in this country has a very powerful quality, which sort of explains why I always carry a camera. Regular readers of this blog would recall that I never modify or enhance my images in any way. What you see here is what I shoot. And when you live in a county where the colours are so rich in contrast, why would you need to, anyway?

No comments: