Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hoots, Mon

Journalists Never Reveal Their Sauces

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I was in Singapore recently on a fleeting stopover and, on the recommendation of a fellow journalist, I headed straight for Clarke Quay. The area, named after Sir Andrew Clarke, Singapore's second governor, is a treasure trove for any visitor.

It’s a shot a minute here for any photographer. Every few steps I’d fire off a few frames as I walked around the bustling riverside area with great dining choices, historic views and wonderful shopping. There are vibrant colours, arresting sights and many manifestations of Singapore’s colonial past as well as the contemporary hi-tech side of the independent island state.

I had a big smile on my face when I saw these outdoor tables beside the waterway. At first I just thought the menus were unusually colourful and I was composing this vertical frame when I realised exactly what the menu cover depicted. Let’s just say I wasn’t expecting Hooters.

Just for the record, I was far too busy to stop and eat. You know what they say: What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the candour.

10 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

I visited Singapore few years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I was surprise how similar the shopping malls and restaurants were to North America. Cool shot btw. Anna :)

Dr.John said...

Of all those wonderful picture every minute pictures of Singapore you decided to give us a picture of Heinz Ketchup.

Merisi said...

Heinz's the way! :-)
The paper towels are for drooling baby customers, I suspect. ;-)

Pat - Arkansas said...

At least they're not tooting their hooters too much when the menu reads "soon to be RELATIVELY famous." (emphasis mine)

becky aka theRAV said...

You are too funny, David.

Woman in a Window said...

Sure you didn't know what you were shooting. Sure...

SandyCarlson said...

Fun one, David!

Connie said...

So will we get to see some of the other shots you took in Singapore? :)

I'm a big fan of vibrant colors and arresting sights myself. :D

dixymiss said...

So your story is you were looking at the ketchup, huh? Thank goodness for those strategically placed salt & pepper shakers. ;-)

Alex L said...

No one expects hooters.

I just love the writing on the menu, 'the soon to be relatively famous'.