Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nice Buffalo, Bill

The Horns Of A Dilemma

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


When I was in India for five days in December, I practically had my Pentax welded to my eye for the entire trip, except when I was asleep. The colours and vibrant scenes of the country really do produce a photo-op at every corner - and I mean that literally.

This was taken en route from Dehra Dun to New Delhi, a few hours before I flew home to Melbourne. I took this through the open window of a moving four-wheel-drive (SUV, to most of you).

There is something quintessentially symmetrical about this early-morning scene. The light was mellow, the colours were intriguing, the buffalo is at rest and completely relaxed in the courtyard, and even those two wonderful symbols of rural India - the tractor and the cycle - are neatly parked beside each other.

Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

16 comments:

Cath said...

Your first real critter! Congratulations. ER, it is the buffalo you are posting about isn't it? ;0)

Great shot.

Salute said...

Another nice picture.

SandyCarlson said...

I can well imagine the indentation around your eye from the camera. This photo is alive with color. It's so very tranquil, too.

Jennifer S said...

And here I was under the impression that you were always taking photos, awake or asleep (how else do you do it all?)!!

Love that scene.

just jamie said...

I love the way you analyze a photo in ways I wouldn't have thought. Reminds me what a novice I am.

Katney said...

It certainly looks like the India I saw!

Maggie May said...

Just the kind of critter you want to see outside your house!
Really good picture & a taste os something different!

Kappa no He said...

Beautiful. I've always wanted to go to India. Maybe one day.

Hilary said...

Gotta love that buffalo. The colours are amazing.. lovely shot.

Mima said...

What a peaceful scene, there almost ought to be two elderly ladies sitting there gossiping! I think that they must have taken out a set of columns in order for the tractor to go undercover as there is an empty plinth at the top!

i beati said...

it all fits

Daryl said...

Your first live, I assume it was alive, animal entry in Camera Critters .. holy cow!

:-Daryl

Gretchen said...

I could just wander around your site for hours, just staring at your photos. You're a true artist.

Sandi McBride said...

I really loved this shot, it's, wait a minute the word will come to me...it's casual...it's like the buffalo, unhurried and unfettered. Yes, that's the word, unfettered
Sandi

Suldog said...

Just found it interesting, David, that the folk hero "Buffalo Bill" has some currency in your part of the world. I always wonder about things like that - if some of the legends and heroes I know are as well-known in other lands - and this seems to answer that at least some are, at least among the well-read :-)

Misty DawnS said...

WOW! I can't imagine having these critters 'just hanging around'! How COOL!

Wait a minute, David... you mean we are NOT supposed to have a camera as a permanent feature of our eye/face??? Shoot - no wonder people round here think I'm weird.