Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Sunday Roast

There's A Haunting Quality To Her Writing


This week's interview is with Kathryn,
who writes the blog Crystal Jigsaw.

The first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

Blogging has opened up a new world of fascinating opportunity to me; it has given me a confidence to express the story of my life to a world of unseen faces. I began blogging in May 2007 and since then have had the pleasure of ‘meeting’ many people through their own interesting and heartwarming tales.

It is quite common knowledge to those who know me personally that I am rather unsociable and tend to stay within my own perimeters, however, through blogging, I have been able to release a part of me that I did not know existed. Blogging has helped me find friends, it gives me a sense of joy amongst everyday living.

What's the story behind your blog name?

The first part of my name derives from a beautiful crystal which hangs in my office window. I have the pleasure of watching it each day as it rotates in the sunlight, a magnificent prism dancing upon each wall in rainbow colours. Whilst creating my blog I glanced at the crystal as it guided me towards the name I should choose. The second part is simply a story of my life up until I moved to the farm in 2001; a Jigsaw puzzle is how my life has always been.

My father passed in July 2001 and left me with the last piece of my life’s jigsaw. That piece I held in my hand until May last year when I was finally able to fit it into place. Having moved here five weeks after my dad’s passing, finding the man of my dreams and having to sacrifice my freedom for almost six years while living with my particularly difficult father-in-law, I was more than ready to complete my Jigsaw.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

So far I can confidently say that "meeting" people from around the world has been the X-factor of joining the blogging community. Reading about people’s lives, some only a few miles away yet others thousands of miles across the ocean, brings together a wealth of personalities, hopes and dreams. There is so much support and friendship and being a blogger has given me both.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

It is most definitely beneficial for a new blogger to have a browse around many different blogs. The easiest way to do this is by finding one you enjoy, reading their comments and clicking on some or all of the comments’ names. From there, a door will open up a world of variety and fascination. By leaving a comment on different blogs, you are inviting that blogger to visit your own blog and hopefully enjoy it.

It is also a good idea to link the blogs on your own blog site in which you enjoy to follow. This creates a good feeling between the community, encouraging other bloggers to join you on the journey of your life.

Most of blogging is about common sense; it is not a good idea to cause offence or ill-feeling to those you care about; write as little or as much as you like, including pictures if possible; never forget to read other blogs, this shows your interest in other people; leaving a comment is not always necessary, however, it does get you noticed; being disagreeable or pedantic can sometimes cause your door to temporarily close, unless the blog you are reading is open to criticism or discussion. As you keep blogging, reading and commenting, you will get to know people and they will you.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

I have read many blogs which I have spent hours afterwards thinking about. As my daughter is autistic I find it very useful to read blogs written by other parents in my situation. However, there is one blog which I can never help but shed a tear over, whether it be happy tears or sad. I have epilepsy which I think is well controlled but it always touches my heart when I read about a child who also suffers with this brain abnormality.

My blogging friend, Marla Bates, has a beautiful daughter who has both autism and epilepsy. The child is considerably strong and lives with illness almost every day of her life. The way her parents cope is tremendous, having to watch their amazing child suffer in the way she so obviously does. Marla updates her blog most days with stories of how her daughter has got through the current day. Sometimes she does well. Other times it pains me to read about her anguish.

Marla’s daughter brings home to me just how incredibly special we all are; each and every one of us. We each have problems to deal with, however big or small, yet there is always someone less fortunate in the world.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

I have written many posts in which I could say were significant as each post I have written has been individual and true. I love writing about my beautiful daughter but have recently learnt that openness can sometimes be mistaken for offensiveness and hurt. Some of the most enjoyable posts I write, in my own opinion, are of a paranormal nature.

I am fortunate enough to experience life beyond our own earth plane and happily share some of my experiences in my blog. Having frequently been visited by my beloved father I find it pleasurable to write about him from his "side of the fence" of which he has always enjoyed encouraging me to do. A more recent post I wrote concerning my dad is called Long Ago Tears. It tells the short story of how he enticed me downstairs after I had gone to bed in order for him to impress a wonderful memory upon me from many years back.

Back in 1991, after finding light at the end of a very dark tunnel, my dad was prepared to turn his life around in order to help me get back on my feet. His cries rang out that night as he sat beside me on the sofa, wiping away my tears. The reason for that particular visit was to let me know that he will always guide me. At the time, I was in the process of making a very important decision concerning my daughter’s academic welfare.

I have fictionalized "Long Ago Tears" and included its context in my novel which is about a year in the life of a medium.


Today's Sunday Roast with Kathryn is the 27th in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

12 comments:

SandraRee said...

Lovely interview, David. Kathryn's recent post concerning her dad "Long Ago Tears" had me in tears.

Sandi McBride said...

Tops, as usual David...I read Kathryn and her work is top notch...
Sandi

Pam said...

i'm lucky to have kathryn as a blogging friend. she writes beautifully, and i enjoy all her stories. great job on this interview, david. :)

Maggie May said...

I am lucky to have Kathryn as a blogging friend & was fascinated to read more!

Casdok said...

Great interview Crystal and David!!
Kathryn writes so well and touches your heart.

Cath said...

Excellent interview David. Crystal (Kathryn)is a great blogger with excellent posts - some informative, some scary (!) and all entertaining!

Shrinky said...

I have never visited Kathryns site, but I certainly shall now. She sounds a facinating and remarkable person. As I am also raising a son who lives with autism, I would to check in with her.

aims said...

Crystal's blog is a daily visit for me.

The fact that she lives on a sheep farm drew me in initially...I am bonkers over sheep - but then her writing won me over.

Since then we have become lovely friends - chatting via gmail and just being there for each other.

I'm delighted that you thought so highly of her writing to interview her.

Mima said...

I love CJ's writing - great pick!

Maddy said...

An excellent choice indeed. [note to self, no more pedantry]

Verily I shall never be a big fat meany.

Cheers

Marie said...

Wonderful interview. It shows what a lovely person Kathryn is. Her blog is one of my faves and I always make sure that I read all her posts.

Marla said...

Kathryn is an inspiration to me as well. Thank you for your high praise Kathryn. It means a great deal to me. Hugs.

I enjoyed your interview and love the picture.