Sunday, September 06, 2009

Dude, Where’s My Carp?

Looks A Bit Fishy To Me

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I shot this over the long Easter weekend, while we were in Sydney. We had just walked into a café and while a group of friends and the rest of the Authorblog clan trooped in to place their order, I announced I was just going to spend a couple of minutes on the street with my camera.

This was on the wall of the Manly Fish Market, famous not just for the quality of its produce, but for its proximity (a stone’s throw away) from Manly Beach.

The surf was up that evening – but I was more interested in taking photographs. You just gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

13 comments:

Johnnny said...

I always get carp and catfish mixed up.

Sandi McBride said...

I figured that it was called Manly because someone had stripped the meat from the very bones! I love my carp (koi) and would never serve them FOR dinner...
Sandi

Maggie May said...

I love my fish but I'd never eat a Koi..... they are pets!

I bet your family are well used to your disappearing acts by now! Proud of your photos too, I should imagine!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

A manly fish market? Interesting...

Boozy Tooth said...

I do so love me a manly fish

Mimi said...

But did you give them your order before they went in?
I suppose the picture is what they want left on the plate when you've eaten.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

So I'm not the only one who excuses themselves to wander off with the camera? Phew. ;)

Carletta said...

This reminds me of that old Irish Spring soap commercial. So I'm guessing with the Manley Fish Market women like it too! :)

Carletta’s Captures.

Cloudia said...

In OZ even the fish are Manly!
Aloha ha ha!


Cloudia's Comfort Spiral

Kathleen said...

Yes, indeed. A man's got to do what a man's got to do. Especially a Manly man.

King of New York Hacks said...

What other place WOULD I go for fish ? I like it when the mind freezes yet the eyes see what needs to be told. Very fun indeed.

Gemma Wiseman said...

I grew up in Sydney and often took the ferry to Manly at holiday time! Awesome streetscape as I remember, possibly because there were many street theatre groups and buskers to give the place colour!

Cezar and Léia said...

This place looks very interesting and cool!
Happy camera critters
Luna