Saturday, September 05, 2009

Treasure Vault

Orange And Gold (And A Touch Of History)

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Late last week, I wondered if it would be possible to shoot a part of Melbourne's architectural history - the lobby of 333 Collins Street. So I rang the number on the website, asked permission and I followed the procedure set out. Shortly after, I received the all-clear.

Soon, I'll post the photos of the stunning vaulted ceiling, but for the purposes of this week's Photo Hunt theme, I've selected one of the images I shot that evening.

Sometimes, the intricacy of craftsmanship and achitectural design can be accentuated by use of a silhouette. I was struck by the detail in this filigree-like arch, one of many in the lobby. I shot some frames of the entire arch against the huge vaulted ceiling, but I wanted something "different".

That's when I decided to use a tight frame to accentuate the arch against the graceful silhouette of one of the imposing columns. By positioning myself carefully, I was even able to use the flame-like reflection of light on the rounded section of the arch.

Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Orange''.

23 comments:

CiCi said...

For you, you wanted something different. For most of us amateurs, everything you do is different and you have the right kind of eye to see the possibilities.

Shadow said...

the colours are amazing. reminds me of something egyptian.

Anonymous said...

You definitely need a photographer's eye to see these beautiful images.

CJ xx

Hilary said...

It's like a window.. or mirror reflecting a sunset.

Maggie May said...

Beautiful orange...... just like a reflection in a mirror.

Jenn Jilks said...

Always great shots!

becky aka theRAV said...

This is beautiful, David. Love the rich colors.

Emily said...

That's a really cool picture. This is a dumb question, but is this the inside or outside of the building?

Mojo said...

I'm trying to get a sense of scale here. At first glance I was seeing something the size of a large picture frame. Then it started to get bigger, depending on the size of the object in silhouette. And by the time I was done I was back to picture frame size again.

But it keeps you engaged... the mark of an effective artwork!

Brian Miller said...

great shot. the colors play so well bringing out that treasure feel. nicely done.

Richard Lawry said...

Awesome lighting and wonderfully warm colors.

An Arkies Musings

jay said...

That is really beautiful! Lovely warm light, and it really does show off the mouldings!

Anonymous said...

Oh my.... I like like like your blog & your pic's!! Amazing!!

Regards from Agneta in Sweden

Anonymous said...

That is really a neat shot! I have always enjoyed seeing your shots! I love architectural details. My dream is to travel the world and see all the great buildings and their details!

Butternut Squash said...

Yummy colors. It looks like ribbon candy.

Unknown said...

It looks like a feather, which is strange and perplexing. Nice shot!

Corey~living and loving said...

beautiful shot. love the warm colors.

my orange is up, too. Have a GREAT weekend.

CRIZ LAI said...

It's beautiful how you shot the lighting effect on the arch David. I can't wait to see the rest. :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Sandra said...

Beautiful rich color, love the way you shot it.

Unknown said...

David this is a beautiful shot. The other end of the spectrum from my orange pic :D

Lew said...

Sometimes the best picture is in the details! Great composition!

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Stunning shot it certainly is. Awesome job.

Have a great weekend.

VioletSky said...

Wonderful lighting. I love architectural details, and look forward to seeing your other shots of the building.