Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Frosty, Is That Really You?

You've Grown Into Such A Well-Rounded Character

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


About ten days ago, I was walking down Elizabeth Street in the city, when I thought I saw a snowman. So I stopped. Blinked. Rubbed my eyes. Looked again. It was still there. And yes, it was most definitely a snowman.

But of course it wasn't real. It wasn't made out of genuine snow. I thought about crossing the street to get a closer look, and then I figured I'd be able to depict it more accurately from where I stood, several metres away on the opposite pavement.

So I shot a couple of frames from where I stood, with the late-afternoon sunlight angled across the board near Frosty's arms. With my zoom lens, I could pick out the words "Snow Report" on the whiteboard, along with the date, Friday 4 September.

And yes, it was more fun taking photographs than being on the ski slopes.


Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

13 comments:

ArtistUnplugged said...

COOL shot David!

Boozy Tooth said...

September + snowman does not compute. At least not in Florida.

Love his smile tho!

Expat mum said...

It took me a couple of seconds to remember that you're down under!

i beati said...

helping to cool me off

Cheffie-Mom said...

Snow in September?? Fun photo!!

Maggie May said...

That was a cute little funny snowman!
Just makes me realise that Christmas is now *round the corner*!

Millennium Housewife said...

Great belly Frosty!

Janie said...

Very cute snowman. September doesn't quite compute for Utah snow, either. Maybe we'll get a little by November, while you'll be enjoying spring.

Shammickite said...

He's obviously going by the Julian calendar.... or is that the Gregorian calendar??? I'm confused.

Hilary said...

Fun shot, but I could do without the reminder of winter lurking not to far down the road. Summer just finally got nice around here. :)

Mimi said...

Lovely shot- I love anything to do with snow, especially when there's a sliver of sun too!

Unknown said...

Love that snowman and that you took a shot of him.

spacedlaw said...

Cute little guy. But isn't it spring already? Snow?