Friday, September 25, 2009

Standing Tall

High And Mighty, In The Last Hour Of Daylight

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It was just one of those days when you never know what the light is going to do next. It had started out as a fairly cold morning, no more than a chilly four degrees before sunrise. Then daylight took the sting out of the wind and by the time I got to the river’s edge late that evening, it was positively balmy.

There was only about half an hour between the time I shot the first image in this series and the last. Strangely enough (no, it wasn’t planned) the very first and last shots were taken within a few metres of each other.


To start with, I noticed that the sun, about forty-five minutes away from the horizon, had thrown some interesting light over the Rialto, the second-tallest building in Melbourne. That’s when I shot the first of these images. Then I meandered around the area of Flinders Street and Federation Square for about half an hour, before making my way back towards where my car was parked.

The sun was long gone, but the mottled sky had a few flashes of silvery-gold. I could not resist the chance to switch the camera back on and take one last image for the day.


For other participants in Dot’s concept, go to Sky Watch HQ.

7 comments:

ArtistUnplugged said...

Tremendous photos David, love the buildings, the light, the reflective windows. Niiiiiiice!

Regina said...

Great shots David.

Daryl said...

Ah the last SkyWatch photo from you .. xo

Sylvia K said...

Sorry that this will be your last Sky Watch shot! They're terrific shots as always and you will be missed!

Enjoy!

Sylvia

Thumbelina said...

A fitting last post. No chorus... but a great post. ;0)

Love the moodiness of the first shot.

vincibene said...

Wonderful impressive pictures! I wish you a good time!

Janie said...

Beatiful captures. I like the buildings in silhouette best.