Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Gift Of A Voice

That’s Not A Disability, That’s A Real Ability

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I shot this about a week ago, on one of those interesting Melbourne days when you’re not quite sure what the weather is going to do next. Spring was not yet a week old, but the sky was patchy, blue in one area and moody grey in others.

When the sun shone unimpeded, the caress of its rays was balmy. But when the sun slid behind cloud cover, it seemed as if the temperature dived substantially. I was shooting some images across the river when I heard someone singing Simon and Garfunkel tunes.

I looked around, wondering where the sound was coming from. It took me a few seconds to work it out. Then I spotted them - there were two blokes positioned in a corner of the pedestrian footbridge that spans the Yarra River.

The guitarist was able-bodied. The vocalist accompanying him was in a wheelchair. Were they related? I don’t know. But they sure knew how to harmonise.

Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

30 comments:

ArtistUnplugged said...

That's a great shot David....wish I could hear them!

CiCi said...

This is the kind of thing that I would have liked too, I love music and singing.

Janie said...

I love S&G. Listening to this pair must have been a treat.

Rosaria Williams said...

So glad you caught their gift.

Sylvia K said...

Yes, I was a big S&G fan, too! Still enjoy their music. How great to come across these guys by accident! Fun post, David! Thanks for the memories!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Jinksy said...

I was born with a harmonising singing gene - but it means I always have to find somebody else singing, before I can put it into practice! Would love to have been able to join in with these bods...

Maggie May said...

They look as though they are really good. they made a great shot anyway.

Joe Todd said...

Harmony in our world I like that

SandyCarlson said...

It's nice to encounter music in the streets. Beautiful.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

David: Neat capture from your walk.

Dirkjogt said...

A beautiful voice is an abillity not given to everyone. I'm a S&G fan also. Great shot!

maryt/theteach said...

Hi David, long time no visit! Great photo of singing in harmony! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Great shot, Dave - what a nice surprise to be treated to their talents!

secret agent woman said...

I just love stumbling on tlaent like that.

secret agent woman said...

I just love stumbling on tlaent like that.

Anonymous said...

I like listening to buskers too and taking snapshots of them.

Have a great week.

Jewels said...

Well, if that isn't a feel-good story, I don't know what is!

eileeninmd said...

They are sharing their wonderful talent and you were able to capture it. Thanks for sharing your part of the world.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

NIce I like your caption Staight talking

Maria said...

Great stuff. People with disabilities are making their mark in every sphere - busking included!

magiceye said...

great to see

LadyFi said...

I love both your words and photo.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shadow said...

music goes beyond the physical...

Mimi said...

Wow! I'd love to have heard them- I love Simon and Garfunkel.
And I know what you mean about the temperature suddenly dropping when the sun goes behind a cloud- we get that all the time here in Ireland.

Sandi McBride said...

Talk about a bridge over troubled waters! I adore Simon and Garfunkel, they bring back memories of young teen years like nothing else! Wish I could have heard the tribute singers, too!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic, David. I so wish I'd been there.

CJ xx