Wednesday, September 02, 2009

G Is For Grace

Sometimes We Find It In Unexpected Places

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


There is no knowing where you'll find the next object on which to train your camera. This gracefully crafted piece of metalwork caught my eye one morning, in a beautifully maintained garden on the tropical island of Langkawi, Malaysia, in July last year.

It was part of a footpath lamp that was about two and a half metres tall and although this was shot early in the morning beside the beach, I was in deep shade cast by a canopy of tall trees.

I was able to stand on a step on the steep hillside to achieve the angle of shooting downwards on something that was actually a few inches taller than I am!

I framed this very deliberately to include the interesting but subtle reflection on the convex surface of the lamp in the top right-hand corner, as well as the muted tones highlighting the curved section of the painted metal in the bottom right-hand corner.

This composition also gave me some interesting (and varied) background hues to highlight my main subject, with the edge of the water only about thirty metres away.

Just for the record, have a look at the second shot (below). It's taken from exactly the same spot a couple of seconds later, with the same settings. But this time I changed the focus ring so that the metal was in soft focus and the hotel pool and the nearby sea were the main subject.

For the home of ABC Wednesday, go to Mrs Nesbitt's Place.

26 comments:

Sean said...

Prefer the metal in focus... but great for both!

Sylvia K said...

Great shots! Love them both, little partial to the in focus. Have a great day, David!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I think I prefer the second shot, David, so serene, and the metal looks as if it is made of smoke.

Maggie May said...

Love both of these photos. The second one is softer though..... yes..... that one I like best!

Hilary said...

I love the beautiful coulours of the water behind the stark black metal in the first shot.

Rune Eide said...

I admit to preferring the second one - It gave an original twist to the picture of a shore.

Saz said...

love both images of the same scene, but with the difference in focus..it reveals more..very cool David

Brian Miller said...

think i am with the crowd for the first shot...by the second invites mystery...

Carol said...

Great photos...the metal makes a pretty pattern...I like the soft subtle colors in the background...

Sandi McBride said...

You not only share you teach...even I could understand that lesson in photography! I too prefer the metal in focus...couldn't say why...it appeals
Sandi
ps
Happy Spring!!!

secret agent woman said...

I went for a walk this weekend for a post I did today, and my favorite shot was some grass seed heads that were sharply in focus with a blurry hay bale behind them. I liked the contrast.

ds said...

Count me among those who prefer the second shot...but it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it.

Richard Lawry said...

I sure do miss being able to manually focus my camera, but not enough to give up my small Canon Digital Elph

An Arkies Musings

Jane Hards Photography said...

Something very relaxing about the top image. Always the words so thought provoking too.

Janie said...

Fascinating to see what a difference in focus makes. I love that first shot.

Mimi said...

I prefer the second shot, though the first one is more thought-provoking for me.
It's very interesting to see the difference. I'm learning so much from you, David.

Anonymous said...

My preference would be the first - the "big" in the "little" things.

Deborah said...

I definitely favor the first shot!

Bradley Hsi said...

Great shots, the first one is certainly more interesting.

Lori ann said...

lovely photos and your titles are always so nice and fitting. I would like to go to Malaysia, did you enjoy this island?

♥ Braja said...

Oh now THAT is my idea of photographing something..it's precisely what I do...love it David.

Shadow said...

i love metalwork like that!

Roger Owen Green said...

Grace is sometimes difficult to achieve.
I prefer the more blurred shot, BTW.

Jay said...

I love the second one! The grandiose design graciously allowing a glimpse of the sea!

Rose said...

I always learn something new about photography here--great photos!

Susan Berlien said...

Interesting shots. I like to see comparisons like that. The first one is more artsy to me. Both are neat!!